www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSU Blew up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdanger
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: PSU Blew up Reply with quote

I bought a new value PSU from ebuyer, worked fine for a bit then it blew, taking two HDDs with it and two optical drives also seem gone.

Drive 1 - system disc - MAXTOR diamondmax plus 9. 80gb. A chip was smoking on the PCB so I guessed that was the problem. Reading this site and forum I decided to try and replace the PCB, so i got the torx screwdriver set from Maplins about £3.

I read all the comments on this forum about where to find firmware versions etc. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I then checked ebay and emailed a few sellers asking for the full details on the drive. Most were very helpful, but no joy. So i posted a "WANT IT NOW" request stating my requirements.

A couple of weeks later I got a response. someone put it up on ebay for £20 + £5 postage. I was a bit dubious at first cos I couldn't see his feedback, but I was a bit desperate for some precious data (photos emails etc etc) on the drive. So I paid up.

Got the pcb the next day and YES! i couldn't believe it. Works like a dream, recovered data onto my new PC and now have a 2nd pc for networking!

now i have to try & resurrect my 250gb WD - data drive - which i couldn't tell was fried until i took the pcb off (chips underneath). Finding a new logic board for this might be more difficult though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: