www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

urgent, Western Digital Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: urgent, Western Digital Question Reply with quote

I recently fried my western digital WD800 Caviar 80 gig hardrive. It was in a western digital dual-option enclosure. I opened the case (voiding the warantee) and removed the hardrive. I placed it in a new enclosure, started it and it was absolutely dead. No noise, spinning, nothing. I removed the logic board to find a fried motor chip. I went to best buy and purchased the closest match I could. It was a WD800 caviar se. I know the specs are supposed to be exact, but I tried to replace the logic boards anyhow. The boards are more or less identical. The main difference I see is that the connectors and bus routes are gold on the fried board, and silver on the newer board. I placed the board and stuck the drive in an enclosure. When I started the enclosure, the hardrive booted up and began spinning. I attached it to a laptop, and as expected, it was not detected. I then attached it as a slave to a desktop computer and entered the bios. The bios detects it as a slave but reports it as "wdc rom model sabre". Still, I cannot access the drive. Not sure what wdc rom model sabre is. Any advice guys? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi the problem is that your using a diffrent board with the hard drive
so the start head and firmware is all total wrong
and the head can not find the right information

you got to match the right logic board up and allso the firmware to work.
as for taking the hard drive apart you more likely damaged the platters
as dust or static or even a single finger print can damaged the data
ACSCorp
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Western Digital SABRE dilemma Reply with quote

I just opened up the case and this happened to me
e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: