www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

warning about privacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
architeuthis666
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: warning about privacy Reply with quote

Ya know when I first found this forum, I got all excited because it looked like three or four people were very eager to repair my hard drive. After thinking about it, I realized something though.

What's to stop these people who repair your hard drive from scanning the whole thing for credit card numbers, social security numbers, addresses, birthdates, bank account numbers, account passwords, etc.? How do you know the person you send the drive to is not associated with Chinese or Nigerian scammers/identity thieves who are safe from prosecution overseas?

Here is my suggestion to you all: do not send your hard drive to be repaired by anyone who will not share their real name, their business or home address, their phone number, etc. Even that is no guarantee of safety, but it's better than blindly sending 120 gigs of identity theft bonanza into a black hole.
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: warning about privacy Reply with quote

architeuthis666 wrote:
Here is my suggestion to you all: do not send your hard drive to be repaired by anyone who will not share their real name, their business or home address, their phone number, etc. Even that is no guarantee of safety, but it's better than blindly sending 120 gigs of identity theft bonanza into a black hole.

is there no work-contract set up prior to the work being started ?
as in, prior to me sending you the disk containing all my private data - i have to sign a waiver that states that i will actually Let you - the repair-man - work with it ?

i havent had to send in a disc atm, but i can understand your concern. the same goes for the contents of the disc - be it personal files or work-related information.

What im really curios to know tho, if anyone can answer me ofc, - is if the repairman actually Have to look through the drive or start it - or if you just plug it in a Chkdsk-enviorment and send it back to the customer when and if it checks out to be ok ?
architeuthis666
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: warning about privacy Reply with quote

zwober wrote:

If you are unlucky and end up dealing with a scammer whose only interest is in collecting information for identity theft or credit card fraud, then some paperwork is not going to be much help. That's my concern -- you just have no idea who you are dealing with. My gut says these guys are all legit, but people's guts get them in trouble on teh Intarwebs every day.
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: warning about privacy Reply with quote

architeuthis666 wrote:
zwober wrote:

If you are unlucky and end up dealing with a scammer whose only interest is in collecting information for identity theft or credit card fraud, then some paperwork is not going to be much help. That's my concern -- you just have no idea who you are dealing with. My gut says these guys are all legit, but people's guts get them in trouble on teh Intarwebs every day.

True, my point is that if said worker dosent present some form of work-related contract - id prolly say no to the work being done. ofc, even a scammer can send a pdf - but id expect some form of work-adress and the like on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: