www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A story without an ending.. :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadBuffalo
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: A story without an ending.. :( Reply with quote

Hi all,

My first post here so still a rookie..

I bought a 1TB Buffalo hard drive back in 2009, and at some point in 2010 it stopped working.

This is the hard drive (it now has a newer version):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ER6CIW

Two things that could have caused the breaking of the hard drive:

1) my friend had it plugged into her laptop and decided it would be a good idea to pick up her laptop and drag it towards herself making the hard drive slam onto the desk.

2) to rectify the situation she then yanked the USB out of the laptop without correctly removing the hardware via the laptop.

Ever since then I have not had access to the laptop hard drive.

- When I plug it into a power socket it turns on (the light comes on and I can hear the disk spinning).
- When I plug it into my computer it, the computer detects something being plugged in and makes a noise but no drive comes up under my computer or in any other form when searching via control panel.
- BUT there is an option to "safely remove software" and when I go into that it detects that a buffalo hard drive has been plugged in.

Do you guys have any idea how this can be fixed, or what the problem is?
Like most of you, the data I have on my hard drive is not worth the money to pay to fix it. Main thing on there I need are my travelling pictures anyway.

I really hope this post comes to something.
Thanks in advance.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it power up. can you hear any strange sounds?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeadBuffalo
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it turns on I can hear a disk spinning noise then a clicking or ticking noise which slows the spinning down. then it starts up again and click / tick starts again and then it turns off.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
would you like to contact me by email or SKYPE? head was gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kit
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for this problem drive needs change heads. If data is important best way bring drive to data recovery company.
DeadBuffalo
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys. I've had limited internet over the last month so only just caught up with this thread now..

Would you recommend I replaced the head myself? I'm quite able with DIY things...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: