www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate ST3200822AS Failure --- NEED HELP URGENTLY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
downloader
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Seagate ST3200822AS Failure --- NEED HELP URGENTLY Reply with quote

Hard Disk Information :

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB
Model : ST3200822AS
S/N : 3LJ12NZL
P/N : 9W2854 - 301
HDA P/N : 100314751
Config : A5D - 05
Firmware : 3.01
Date Code : 04406
Site Code AMK

Controller:
100306335 D 7439L31V
(sticker on the PCB board)

100306336 REV A
(bottom number on chip)

Problem Descriptions :

My Seagate ST3200822AS PCB board was burned causing by rather the PC or an external enclosure. The hard disk was dead, can not spinning up. But somehow i managed to power on the hard disk and it's spinning up. When i directly connect the hard disk to the SATA connector on the motherboard, sometime the hard disk is detected when the PC boots, sometimes it does not detect it. But when I connect the hard disk to the SATA connector on the SATA card. it detected when PC boots up. When the hard disk spins up, it makes some clicking noise, about 60 seconds, it stops. Windows XP starting to load and freezes and the disk is clicking sometimes. I leave it for 1 hour, and Windows XP is still not loaded.

On the other hand, I startup windows xp from another hard disk (working one), while in windows, i connect the burned pcb hard disk, the hard disk spin up and freezes windows xp and the clicking sound sometimes happen too, 1 hour later, still freezes. I also use the Seagate Diagnostic Tool -- SeaTools to run Tests on the failed hard disk, when starting the Short Test, it display an error message :

DST -- FAILED - Electrical Element

So i run the Long Test, the test took more than 2 hours to run. and it detects around 90 errors on the hard disk.

I also run Partition Magic and scan the hard disk for any errors, it shows lots of Read Errors and terminated the scan process because too many of this Read Errors.

Does anyone have any clue what's wrong with the burned pcb hard disk? How to repaired this hard disk? Just do a PCB swap?[/b]
happyhappy
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from an expert, but I have a bit of experience and will share my thoughts. First of all, have a reliable drive or storage medium ready and fired up and copy the critical data immediately if the dead drive becomes accessible.

Since the drive is running, I think I would try a couple things before a swap. Specifically, recovery software and the freezer trick. I used GetDataBack from runtime.org. The trial version is free and will show what if any data it is able to recover. I've never done the freezer trick, but its free too and I've heard others suggest it when a drive is exhibiting a clicking noise.

If those avenues do not produce results, you might try a logic board swap. I think thats most likely to yield results wehere the drive is not running at all, but who knows.

Good luck.
downloader
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my damaged my hard disk.
I am now able to detect the hard disk and i can use some softwares to list the directories and files on the hard disk. But when i try to copy the files, when copies up to some point, the process just hangs there, the hard disk is still power on, i wait for it for like 20 mins, still hangs, so i turn off the pc and turn it back on, and this time i use a software(MHDD) to scan the hard disk surface. the results comes back with bad sectors. So i think that's why the copying process hangs when it reaches some point. By the Way i am now using some linux live CD to copy some of the data successfully, others still can not be copy due to bad sectors.

Now my questions are :

1. Is there any way I can fix these bad sectors without corrupting my data?
Note : I have already try few softwares. (Seatools, MHDD, savepart, HDD regenerator and few others)

2. Do you think it's a bad head that causes the bad sectors?
hddstudio
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software solution (50% works) Use MTL - clone the drive sector by sector to another drive. that will be enough to recover all your data

hardware solution : use Salvation's Data Compass Very Happy
wdmjys
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hddzone.com/seagate-100306336-100258581-sata-barracuda-72007-pcb-p-219.html

100306336 REV A PCB. $39.00 with free shipping.
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Now all I want to know is if the warranty of the product is expired or not. If not, then just go to the service centre and get it replaced. Seagate is one of the only companies that actually replace your hard drive no matter what the problem. It might take up to 15 days. But it is worth it. Maybe you can get a latest and upgraded one.

---------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
at home senior care
---------------------------
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: great Reply with quote

Hey I have to say this up front. I am far from an expert, but from the details that you have given here. I am afraid you are out of options my friend. There is very less chance that you will be able to get your data even if you change the board.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
order cheese curds online
[ corbingravely ]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: