www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help Recognize My Problem - Calling HDD Experts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajrulez
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Please Help Recognize My Problem - Calling HDD Experts Reply with quote

Hi HDD Experts Smile

I've got a problem with my HDD, well of course..thats why I am here and writing to you guys. It is a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD with following details:

Main Controller IC: 040111300(agere Ardent C8-C1) M8FYB
6Y160P0042811

I use it as an external HDD within an enclosure. It was working fine last night before I switched the power off. This morning, when I truned the power back on, the drive didn't do anything. I wasn't able to hear any sound or feel any movement.

I took the drive out of the enclosure and it smelled like something got fried. I connected the drive back, and saw a dash of smoke coming from one of the ICs on the board. I immediately turned the power off and began looking for any solutions.

So what do you guys think...is this a problem with PCB? Can I fix it if I replace the PCB?

Please help me Embarassed I am new to HDD stuff....help me for the sake of that first time when your HDD gave up on you:) I am sure you all understand what I am going through. I am unable to sleep, unable to work, unable to eat, unable to work out...and even unable to kiss my GF!! This shit is bothering me....please someone help me. Just post your analysis, what you think my problem is and possible solutions. Smile
hdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Please Help Recognize My Problem - Calling HDD Experts Reply with quote

http://www.ultratec.co.uk/stocklists/SearchResults.asp?model=6y160p0042801

need to find a PCB with M8FYB on it... That should sort iy.

ajrulez wrote:
Hi HDD Experts Smile

I've got a problem with my HDD, well of course..thats why I am here and writing to you guys. It is a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD with following details:

Main Controller IC: 040111300(agere Ardent C8-C1) M8FYB
6Y160P0042811

I use it as an external HDD within an enclosure. It was working fine last night before I switched the power off. This morning, when I truned the power back on, the drive didn't do anything. I wasn't able to hear any sound or feel any movement.

I took the drive out of the enclosure and it smelled like something got fried. I connected the drive back, and saw a dash of smoke coming from one of the ICs on the board. I immediately turned the power off and began looking for any solutions.

So what do you guys think...is this a problem with PCB? Can I fix it if I replace the PCB?

Please help me Embarassed I am new to HDD stuff....help me for the sake of that first time when your HDD gave up on you:) I am sure you all understand what I am going through. I am unable to sleep, unable to work, unable to eat, unable to work out...and even unable to kiss my GF!! This shit is bothering me....please someone help me. Just post your analysis, what you think my problem is and possible solutions. Smile
ajrulez
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: I ordered this from softcom.com.my ...... Reply with quote

ain Controller IC: 040111300(agere Ardent C8-C1) M8FYB

Tested and Working on the following HDD:-

Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HDD

Cache Memory: 8MB

Code: YAR41BW0 K,G,B,A

6Y160P0042811

I think this will do it, right? But here's my major concern, after readig thru my description, do you think swapping PCB is going to work?

Thanks for ur reply Smile
ajrulez
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!! Cool Cool

I got the PCB specified in my last post. Received it within 2 weeks from Softcom.com.my

As soon as I got the package, ripped it open and changed the PCB on my HDD. And it was spinning again. That sound of my hard drive spinning was one of the best sounds I have heard in my enire life.

Thanks www.deadharddrive.com and its forums for providing me with enough information to save my HDD. I am glad I checked this site before I got frustrated and screwed my HDD.

Thanks again!!

AJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: