www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deathstar IC35L120AVVA07-0 (120GXP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I send my dead HD to IBM/HITACHI filled with human excrement as a token of my apreciation?
YES
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

pmdci
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Deathstar IC35L120AVVA07-0 (120GXP) Reply with quote

Here is my story... Click here for my HD request (please!)

I had it installed in an old Athlon PC and the disk started to power off all of a sudden. I thought it was the motherboard (some voltage problems) because it is also quite old (the entire PC was old, but the HD was the newest bit I had).

So I ordered a IDE/SATA USB adapter to move the data to a new HD. The drive powered on, and I started to copy some data (yaaay!) Well, guess what? It worked for about 15 minutes, then it spin down again! It wasn't a problem of the desktop's motherboard after all. Sad

I left the drive "cool off" for a while and I tried again. I found that if I gently make contact with the power connector it would power on, but if I tried to push it in a little bit more, it would "loose power contact". I managed to copy some more data (i.e.: outlook PST) by holding the power connector gently (just enough to get the power up and the disk spinning) -- but it was a difficult task and once again it lost power, and it seems that this time it is gone forever.

I thought this could be the case of a flimsy power connector (i.e.: bad soldering), but I must say that the soldering looks quite solid!

So I think that at the moment this must be a logic board problem. If I replace the board, perhaps I will be able to power the disk on to just copy my data back.

With my very limited knowledge of electronics, I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that the mechanic bits of this drive (motor, plates needle, but most likely the motor) is for some reason "overheating" (i.e.: sucking too much power due to some manufacturing probs). Perhaps this is why the drive tended to make that scratch-click, scratch click form time to time... But anyhow... I think that such problem might have "slowly killed" the logic board.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading my grief... Click here for my HD request (please!)

Cheers,
P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: