www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital WD5000AAKS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceman
Posted once

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Western Digital WD5000AAKS Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have got the click of death on my 4 year old WD drive Crying or Very sad The drive still shows up in BIOS and it still spins up, so from what I've read its highly likely to be a head problem. Unfortunately it happened the day after I received a new drive and the day before I planned to fit the new drive and back up my data - unbelievably bad luck as the WD drive never showed any signs of problems!

Anyway to cut a long story short, I'm currently unemployed and really cannot afford to pay a fortune for professional DR. The vast majority of the stuff on the drive is just movie downloads and music, so I dont mind losing that - but unfortunately there are also quite a few photos of my daughter that I really would rather not lose (probably 300mb at most, out of 500gb).

I've noticed that many companies give a free evaluation and a list of files that can be recovered - does this mean that they repair all drives they receive, and just hope that you will take them up on their quote?

How viable is it for me to send the drive to a "cheaper" country to just get the photo files that I really want put on a DVD or uploaded? I know that there will be risks to that, but as I said I really have very limited funds.
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Tornado Reply with quote

The WD5000AAKS is a member of WD's "Tornado" family. This family was afflicted with MCU faults whose symptoms mimicked head or media problems. The MCU was a Marvell 88i6745-TFJ1 or 88i6545-TFJ1.

Unfortunately a straight board swap rarely works.

See this thread:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WD3200AAJS-08L7A0-Mass-Failure/m-p/241570#M6677
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

WD5000AAKS should definitely be the largest source of data for you. I own the 1TB model and it is really good. I must say it has a good gadget. I have all my movies, songs, photos and data in it and still there is some space left.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[ corbingravely ]
MA Distance Education
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: