www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD800JB-00ETA0 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilar
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: WD800JB-00ETA0 problems Reply with quote

I pulled this drive out of a working computer in order to install another drive just to check and see if it was working. When I reinstalled the original drive, it was dead. I feel sure that static more than likely killed the PCB.

I have a 60 gig drive that works fine. Is it possible to swap these boards and get the data from my dead drive? Here are the drive numbers:

Dead 80 gig:
MDL: WD800JB-00ETA0
DATE: 27 Apr 2003
DCM: HSBHCTJAH
Number on the PCB near the 40 pin connector: 2061-001189-190 E XS 1J03 0LQS 1 0006430 3346

Working 60 gig:
MDL: WD600JB-00ETA0
DATE: 02 MAY 2003
DCM: HSCHCVJAH
Number on the PCB: 2061-001189-190 E XS 1J03 294L 4 0006440 3446

1) What are my chances of this swap working long enough to get some of the data from my dead drive?

2) Can this board be used if I swap something from the dead board to the good board?

3) If these two will not swap, Does anyone have a PCB that might work?
LarryB
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 13 digits of the bar code sticker on the ribbon cable connector need to match and it looks like you have a matching PCB. The rest of the number is the firmware. If you transfer the firmware over the 60GB board will work on the 80GB drive. I have a chip programmer that can program your chips if you don't have one. Contact me for more info.
Tilar
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "program the chips" Are you referring to programming the correct firmware over to the new board?
LarryB
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two boards are exactly the same. The only difference is the firmware. Program the 80GB firmware to your 60GB board and it will work on your 80GB drive. You can also just swap the flash memory chip.
Tilar
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To swap this chip, I need to solder the correct chip over to the new board, correct?

I feel pretty comfortable with my soldering skills, but I dont know if I have a tip small enough to do this and actually make it work. Those are some pretty small solder joints =)
wingatesl
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need or want a small tip to solder this chip. Put a blob of solder that bridges the pins on one side and turn the heat all the way up on the iron. apply SLIGHT pressure to the chip with a toothpick, razor blade et and the one side should lift easily. blob the other side to remove. Do the same with the original chip. leave the solder blob in place as a method to tack the chip in place. then melt the blob across all pins and clean up with desoldering wick. I have done this dozens of times with a $10 dollar radio shack iron on even the smallest of smd chips without a single problem. A good example is here ->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:WillWare/Homebrew_surface-mount_construction#Flood_and_wick

As long as you are patient it is easy
Tilar
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wingatesl, I have never heard of that process until now. I have a ton of patience and this looks like a good challenge Cool I think I'll give that a try on an old board first, and if it goes as easy as you say it does i'll give it a try with the good ones.
wingatesl
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to the local computer store and ask for all the old WD drives they have. I no longer match them up any more than visually (no part numbers other than the largest chip). This should give you plenty to practice on. If I can give one more piece of advice it would be to invest in a good iron. The hotter the Iron the less time you ahve to spend on the chip (and the less time you can of course) Oh an remember DO NOT MOVE THE WICK WITHOUT HEAT APPLIED! shorry just needed a little extra emphasis on that
Tilar
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Thanks. I have to go out of town for about a week, but when I get back I'll give this a try and let you know how it turns out =) I appreciate the advice.
Arkadas
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it same that you need?

http://www.datakurtarma.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: