www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help on Maxtor Diamondmax 9 needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swust
Posted once

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Help on Maxtor Diamondmax 9 needed Reply with quote

First I thought this could be a classical one: After a power surge, a chip on the PCB on my Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 200 GB burned out (the little one on the left labeled "SMOOTH") and the HDD didn't spin anymore. Following the experiences here and elsewhere, switching the PCB with an identical one could help. So I did - and it burned, too. This time it was the little IC on the upper left corner of the board. Now, I looked for professional help and contacted Ontrack Recovery. After a week of diagnosis, the result was a knockdown: Because of severe damage to the hardware including the read head, all attempts were unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, I obtained another suitable PCB and tried it out (there was nothing to lose). The disc began to spin but wasn't recognized. After a while, a clicking noise (presumable the reading head hitting the edge) set in - but no circuit burning.
Now, I'm regaining hope: Is there anything else worth to try out? Could another PCB work? Or is a read head damage still possible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: