www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD5000AAJB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoffro
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: WD5000AAJB Reply with quote

My WD5000AAJB just up and died a few weeks ago. After searching the net I found this website. Well I didn't read long enough and I purchased a similar hard drive from ebay. I didn't get the exact model but it was close. Needless to say the PCB from the new drive didn't do much for me. Then I found this post http://www.deadharddrive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1120. This guy was explaining exactly what I am experiencing so I decide to check the zener diodes on my PCB and low and behold, my diode was shorted out. I unsoldered it and I can now boot the computer. It sounds like it's spinning and BIOS is detecting it but it doesn't show in windows. I've tried GetDataBack and RecoverMyFiles and neither sees the drive.

Any ideas?
Geoffro
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my progress. I decided to try WD Data Lifeguard tools since the drive was being seen in BIOS but not Windows. Well after 9 hours of running the whole partition was transferred to another good drive. I took the bad drive out, rebooted, and YAHOOOO!!!! Everything was there!! Wow, I am sooooo relieved and grateful for this site.

Geoff

P.S. I'm off to get my backup system running. Very Happy
OldGuy
Active contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffro,

Glad to see that my experience with the Seagate drive translated to a Western Digital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: