www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worked for Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leducjjr
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Worked for Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Reply with quote

Searched internet for firmware code (see below), took a few weeks, but found someone with a dead platter.

$20 USD for shipping & handling (he didn't charge for the dead drive itself) and an extra $15 after success, and I grabbed the files off the drive as quick as I could.

FYI, firmware has to be exact - I tried a board with same TLA (Part number) of 6Y120L0 but the firware was yar41bw0 and that one didn't work.

John
------------------------------

Specs below:
Make: Maxtor
Model: DiamondMax Plus 9
TLA (Part number): 6Y120L0040424
Capacity: 120GB ATA/133 HD
IBM P/N: 24p3784
IBM FRU: 24p3687
Code (a.k.a. Firmware): yar41vw0
LBA: 234441648
ER: +5v 670mA +12v 960mA
Mfg Date: 28nov2002

Last edited by leducjjr on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
dfphoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: how did you find the guy? Reply with quote

Hi how did you find the guy with the dead platter and how did you determine the exact firmware? I thought the firmware was the 5 digit number letter combo?
leducjjr
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: re: how did you find the guy? Reply with quote

Hi

No the firmware for Maxtor is sometimes labelled on the back of the drive as "Code:" (I mislabelled my original post and will correct the error if I can).

The model, or part number, is the 6 char id like 6Y120L. It's not labelled on my drives, but some search results that came back for this code had "part no", "part #", etc. in front of the code so I inferred the meaning from this. Ditto for the firmware.

I did a series of Google searches for every code I saw printed on the back of the drive, and some had more hits than others. I even Googled for the manufacture date code 28nov2002!!!

Finally I found a blog that mentioned a dead hard drive with the same firmware number. I emailed the guy and we struck a deal, paid via Paypal and the drive arrived here a few days later. It was a sheer gamble as I didn't know if his logic board was bad or if it was a platter issue. This gamble paid off, thankfully.

John
dfphoto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: can you give me the name of the blog? Reply with quote

Hi do you have the address of the blog?

Thanks
leducjjr
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: re: can you give me the name of the blog? Reply with quote

Sure, it's:
http://edseek.com/archives/2004/11/29/maxtor-120gb-died/

But I believe this is the only one he had - he's not a reseller or parts guy, this was just a random blog message. Wouldn't hurt to ask if he has more, though.

BTW, I still have the spare drive with firmware yar41bw0 if you're interested in that one... Smile
marceljack
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked for Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Reply with quote

leducjjr wrote:
Searched internet for firmware code (see below), took a few weeks, but found someone with a dead platter.

$20 USD for shipping & handling (he didn't charge for the dead drive itself) and an extra $15 after success, and I grabbed the files off the drive as quick as I could.

FYI, firmware has to be exact - I tried a board with same TLA (Part number) of 6Y120L0 but the firware was yar41bw0 and that one didn't work.

John
Please find below the compatibility rule sent to me by Maxtor support regarding board replacement (HDD capacity can be different).
Quote:
For the following Maxtor hard drive models: Fireball 3, DiamondMax 16, DiamondMax Plus 8, and DiamondMax Plus 9 there is also a GTLA Number on the model (next to barcode on the bottom of the drive). Format 1Y222J2223322. 1, 2 and 3 stand for numbers, Y and J for letters. The numbers 1 and 3 as well as the letter Y need to be identical to be able to replace the PCB on these drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: