www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

didn't work for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdfg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: didn't work for me Reply with quote

FYI, i did this step by step exact, same logic board, same firmware, etc.. took a lot of expense and time to track down obscure drive... and it didn't work.

so this is not a panacea
regalcomputerservices

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Maybe the problem was not with the logic board to start with.

2 Don't go by the printed labels, look at the actual chips to see if all the specs match - this is the important part.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive spins, but can't be detected. Reply with quote

I ordered a seagate drive from eBay ($18.99). I couldn't believe I found the right drive and the same firmware. I bought a torx screw driver ($10.79). I switched the logic boards. The hard drive still cannot be detected. My drive isn't dead though. It is spinning. So, I am ruling out that it is the logic board since both boards give me the same results. I guess my next step might be to try freezing it? Someone told me that maybe Windows can't detect it and that I should try it with Linux. I know nothing about Linux. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know this site is for dead hard drives but I thought I would at least ask if someone else has experienced a disk that spins but can't be read.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I downloaded Knoppix and burned the image to a CD-R. Rebooted the PC and yahoo I am using a new OS. But...it still cannot detect my hard drive. Well, I guess I am now going to freeze my hard drive. Anyone have any more suggestions?
conundrum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Re. dead hard disk Reply with quote

Freezing works when the control chips have gone bad. I've also heard about people using a Peltier junction applied to the DSP chip, to cool it for long enough to copy the data.

-A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: