www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crashed 250 gb Western Digital HD after power failure...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebdet2002
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Crashed 250 gb Western Digital HD after power failure... Reply with quote

My 250 bg Western Digital hardrive suddenly stopped working. An error message saying something like 'NTLDR is missing' came up and the computer can't recogonize the hardrive. Does the problem lie in the logic boards, and if so, will switching the logic boards help? If not, where else could the problem be and are there any other solutions? The hardrive was brim full with data, and 210 gb of data is too much to lose.

Also, I can't seem to find what firmware my hardrive has. I looked on the label, but couldn't find it. Any where else I should look?

Thanks in advance.
AngryLlama
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashed 250 gb Western Digital HD after power failure... Reply with quote

ebdet2002 wrote:
My 250 bg Western Digital hardrive suddenly stopped working. An error message saying something like 'NTLDR is missing' came up and the computer can't recogonize the hardrive. Does the problem lie in the logic boards, and if so, will switching the logic boards help? If not, where else could the problem be and are there any other solutions? The hardrive was brim full with data, and 210 gb of data is too much to lose.

Also, I can't seem to find what firmware my hardrive has. I looked on the label, but couldn't find it. Any where else I should look?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds your mbr (boot record) got screwed up. Sounds like you are running a Windows NT based system (Windows XP?) Try inserting your installation cd and doing an auto recovery. If this doesn't work, install the OS on top of itself.
ebdet2002
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running windows xp. Everything else on the mobo works fine, just the hardrive. I am getting a replacement hardrive with which I am going to try the logic board swap trick, but before I attempt it, I will plug in the hardrive and see if the ports still work. Hope it's not the mobo!!!
AngryLlama
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, if it is getting the the point where it complains about NTLDR, then your harddrive works! It just won't boot. Boot off of an install CD and rollback to a save-state (recovery points? I dunno what MS calls it).

Just the fact that it complains about NTLDR means that the drive is being accessed properly.

You should be able to just install an operating system on the new drive and copy the contents of the old drive over IDE (or sata, whatever you are using).
ebdet2002
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right...the drive was intact, the motherboard had somehow reset (I had to move a few of the jumpers around). After that, I just went through the F2 set up screen and the drive works great!! Thank god...I don't think I could switch platters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: