www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead WD1600BB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramblers
Posted once

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Dead WD1600BB Reply with quote

Dead WD 1600BB

I’ve got a 2005 wd1600 that I have used as an external HD for years with a load of music on it. About two weeks ago the thing up and died. I Google’d dead hard drives and found this site. Read the how to and gave it a try.
I took apart the enclosure and took off the hard drive cover to ensure the arm was still working and it was.
I took off the logic board and there was a dark brown mark right over one of the processors, well I thought that must be the problem
Looked on line for a wd1600BB and found one at http://www.pcprogress.com/ for $50.00
Took only a few days to get and when it came I swapped the logic boards

Hard Drive back in action!!! Very Happy
tester272001
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: WD1600BB Reply with quote

I have:
MDL: WD1600BB - 00DWA0
DATE: 29 JAN 2004
DCM: HSBHCTJAH

Only the logic board. Or the actuator/motor. The disk platter has failed and has bad sectors. SMART failure. If someone needs the board or actuator I'll send it out via post for the cost of shipping.
RussWinters
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately because you opened the drive you have likely destroyed any chances of recovering data.

NEVER, open a drive in a regular room. 1 Spec of dust is like a mountain compared to the read/write element of the heads. If the crash into the dust (and they will) they are nearly instantly killed. and then media damage can occur causing the data to REALLY be unrecoverable.

at this point you will need the help of a pro who has access to a clean room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: