www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 burnt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobafett
Posted once

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 burnt Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm just a new user; as all of us I've registered this forum cause I had a problem with a HD (ST3160811AS) which stores quite important data...
Yesterday I removed it from his place in the case because I wanted to put him in an external box; when I switched on the PC it didn't power on (it looks like short circuit protection) and after a while I discovered it was the HD, probably a short circuit of the PCB. It also smells like something burned.
So, before asking for RMA I would like trying data recovery swapping the PCB (I've found one almost identical) or trying to fix the burnt TVS diode, as I heard in many topics.
At first I want to try the inexpensive diode removal method; I've already removed the PCB but I'm not able to locate the right diode. Here some photos:

What do you think? Effectively none of the diode looks like burnt but the synthom (and the smell of burnt) seems too clear.
However I found this PCB that seems to match perfectly mine: same model, same firmware. I don't know the site and date code but shoudln't be important for this quite old drive.

http://www.hdd-parts.com/20702801.html

Thanks in advance! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: