www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujitsu MPG3307AT recovered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qubit
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Fujitsu MPG3307AT recovered Reply with quote

My mom's Tiny computer came with one of these... after 44 months the drive suddenly stopped working. I got her a new drive, but her old data was stuck on the Fujitsu. So, I stuck it in an antistatic bag and filed it away, hoping later to find a way to recover its data.

A while back I did some research on recovering MPGxxxxes, but came up short. Well, yesterday I decided to try again, and noticed something that I may have overlooked before... or maybe it just didn't come up in my search...

The file "Fujitsu-RecoveryToolV202A.zip"! Google it and a URL will come up. This contains a disk image that apparently boots Linux to run a special program designed to recover MPG series drives that spin up but aren't recognized by the BIOS.

It worked! Note that if you try this yourself, there's something the instructions didn't make crystal clear: after you boot the floppy disk and it successfully recovers the drive, you need to do a cold reboot (turn off, turn on) and again boot from that floppy for it to finish the recovery process.

I cloned the drive's partition, and the process completed perfectly; no bad sectors, no hangups. In fact the drive is still working (even writes work perfectly) but I'm not going to trust any new data to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: