www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS. TVS diode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecollard
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS. TVS diode? Reply with quote

Hello,

I used a SATA to USB connector that fried my Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS.

Here are the specs:

Model: ST3320620AS
P/N: 9BJ14G-308
Firmware: 3.AAK
Site Code: SU
Capacity: 320GB
Main Chip #: TTB4398A0

Forum user fzabkar replied me that it may be the TVS diodes and removing them could make my HDD work again to recover data.

Here is a picture of my PCB. Could you please let me know where are my diodes and what I exactly need to remove?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Eric
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS. TVS diode? Reply with quote

Here are the two diodes:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/ST3320620AS_TVS.jpg

Measure their resistances on the 200 ohms range of a multimeter. If either diode measures 0 ohms, then snip it out with flush cutters. The drive will work OK without it, but it will no longer have any overvoltage protection on the affected supply rail. Hopefully the diode will have protected the rest of the logic from the power surge.

Good luck.
ecollard
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. As I don't have a multimeter, do you think it is a good guess to remove both and try?
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB ST3320620AS. TVS diode? Reply with quote

[quote="ecollard"]Thank you very much. As I don't have a multimeter, do you think it is a good guess to remove both and try?[/quote]

It's a very common problem, so, yes, it would be a good guess.

However, a digital multimeter will only set you back US$10, and will be very useful for other things.

In any case, removing the diodes will not affect the function of the HD. Just be absolutely certain of your PSU, as you will no longer have any protection.

Once again, good luck.
ecollard
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I will try and let you know. Thanks again!
ecollard
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fzabkar, you don't event know how happy I am! I removed both diodes and Windows detected the drive perfectly!

I'm transfering my data right now.

Again, I want to thank you very, very much for your help and support. You made me save a lot of money.

Regards and respect,
- Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: