www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please HELP! Seagate Fried - I Now have new PCB. Replace??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electricmyth
Active contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Please HELP! Seagate Fried - I Now have new PCB. Replace?? Reply with quote

I have a 500gb SEAGATE external hard drive, firmware: LC11 (lacie hard drive) and I found a hard drive that does not have the same firmware but I checked the PCB numbers in the actual circuit board, not the hard drive, and found those numbers to be exactly the same. The circuit boards look exactly the same and the numbers are exactly the same but the hard drives they are connected to hare different. Should I try to replace this PCB with the seamingly identical one or could that damage my precious data further??

Also, I fried the hard drive by using my laptop cord instead of the real cord, and it just wouldnt start and computers wont even turn on when its plugged in (best buy tried it). Im assuming the PCB swap will help, and I have a PCB on the way that is exactly the same in firmware and everything, but i dont know if using the one I have might help? Or should I risk my time, and project grade, by waiting for the new PCB?? PLEASE HELP! I am graduating college in a few weeks and I desperately need some advice....
please email me or reply here, electricmyth@gmail.com

I love whoever helps,
sincerely,
DC
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, PC won't turn on after you connect patient drive that you can try to remove diode from PCB. perhaps it has been short.
2, replace PCB just need same PCB model. no need to match with FW version. and you need replacement ROM chip to. here is video to show you how to do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2hgiDHiXKM
please feel free to contact me by email or MSN if need any help. good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Please HELP! Seagate Fried - I Now have new PCB. Replace Reply with quote

[quote="Electricmyth"]I have a 500gb SEAGATE external hard drive ...

Also, I fried the hard drive by using my laptop cord instead of the real cord, and it just wouldnt start and computers wont even turn on when its plugged in ...[/quote]

This is a common problem at Seagate's forums.

Most of the time the fix is as easy as removing a shorted diode. In your case it would probably be the 12V TVS diode.

If you upload a detailed photo of the component side of the PCB, one of us will show you what to do.
Electricmyth
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: THANKS!! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply!!

But i have a question... I heard, like you said, that you could cut out the TVS DIODE on the hard drive if you have a power shortage. And i had some form of cutters, but they werent flush cutter, and attempting to cut out the TVS diode on the fried hard drive PCB, i accidentally hit the little gray chip below it. The TVS DIODE is the far left hand, bottom black box on my PCB (thanks to the friend telling me), but i cracked the little gray thing right below it (in this picture http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn281/mcdent/IMG_2629.jpg)

Do you know if that will screw up my hard drive if i try testing it in this way? I cant believe i accidentally cracked the little gray chip trying to get the DIODE out :C.

Also if i go through with replacing the PCB boards, do you know if I always have to replace the ROM chip as well? I have a new board with the exact same everything (almost) and i dont know how to replace a ROM chip :C.

I really appreciate your assistance, ahah and i dont mean to bother you. Thanks again!

DC
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: THANKS!! Reply with quote

The part below the 12V TVS diode is a filter capacitor. The board will work without it.

Make sure your power supply is OK.

Good luck.
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Well I would recommend the use of replacing the parts with any other broken drives of the same model and see if it does the magic. If that doesn't work I would unfortunately have to say that it is sort of the end.

:::::::::::::::::::::::
sell my airline miles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: