www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad PCB or bad Mechanism?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDude72
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Bad PCB or bad Mechanism? Reply with quote

So my old Maxtor DiamondMax +9 has developed a problem. The drive started making a squeaking and clicking noise, and stopped working. I carefully removed the cover and powered up the drive, and saw that the drive heads are going out, then snapping back to their parked position, which is what's causing the clicking, then the squeak seems to be something trying to push the heads in further toward the spindle.

If I turn off the drive, and move the heads out, when I turn the drive back on, in sometimes gets a little bidirectional motion, but always just snaps back to the parking track.

I'd really like to get my data off the drive (over a year since last backup - I know, I know. You messed it up too, or you probably wouldn't be here, right?). Wink

So - here are my questions:

Is this the kind of problem a new PCB can fix? If so, how important are the letter codes on the drive? My code is YAR51HW0 K,M,G,A. I've found a few PCBs with the same YAR code, but the K,M,G,A eludes me. Anybody know what those mean? Also, I can't seem to find the firmware code. There is a 4.3.04 silkscreened onto the PCB, but would a firmware version be permanently silkscreened?

If this is a mechanism problem, how important is it to match the PCB exactly? Also, is this something I can fix by putting in a new drive head, or do I need to swap out the platters? Also, I've read that swapping out multiple platters on drives with multiple one is pretty much hopeless. Has anyone had success swapping out a multiple-platter assembly?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

- J in Chicago
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i have some question as following.
does PCB is original?
can you find out any burned parts?
i guess your make it worse already. 1, i guess you without clear room. 2, it's seems no the PCB initial. it looks like head crash. i recommend send it to data recovery company or me for process if data is important for you. i can handle it. for swap PCB. you just match the main chip model of your PCB will be fine. no need to matching other code on hard drive lable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MacDude72
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am a technician, and have a clean area (not superclean, but grounded, and relatively dust-free). I also used rubberized gloves to handle the drive.

I sealed it back up, and it's in my office (I'm home today), so I won't have access to it again until Monday. I'll try to get a snapshot of the PCB online at that time.

Thanks for the info!

- J.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. waiting for pics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MacDude72
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top:

By macdude72 at 2010-07-26

and

Bottom (sorry, lighting isn't as good on workbench):

By macdude72 at 2010-07-26[/img]
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCB looks fine. if it's original. perhaps got crash head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: