www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me figure out the problem with my WD4000KD drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broadband155
Posted once

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Please help me figure out the problem with my WD4000KD drive Reply with quote

Hi There,

I was amazed to find a site dedicated this this subject. Great though for people in need.

I use my PC as a server for video. This evening I saw the dreaded blue screen of death on it but at the same time, video was still streaming to the set top box. I rebooted the computer to get rid of the bsod and of course streaming stopped. It blue screened again and I tried a second time. I then noticed the bios reporting that it couldn't find the drive. I tried rebooting a few more times and once it reported the drive as present but didn't boot into windows and never again.

I had a look and the drive was quite warm to the touch. It has been working fine for about two years, so I don't think that was the issue but not sure.

It spins up just fine and no bad noises or other obvious problems. I have a 500GB sata drive also connected to the PC in an external eSATA case which is working fine, so I took it out of its case and put in the 400GB drive. That way, I can hear and see it clearly. It didn't help at all, which troubleshoots cables and any other physical connection issue.

I tried a few recovery tools but none of them find the drive either. I guess they wouldn't if the bios can't.

I allowed it to cool down completely before trying it again, but still nothing.

Any advice would be very welcome as I have lots of video on there that isn't backed up. Not the end of the world but more than a little annoying all the same.

It is also the drive that windows is on and I am not looking forward to doing everything from scratch again. Recovering data from it would make things a lot easier.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: