www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD800AB Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asymptote
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: WD800AB Story Reply with quote

It appears that my situation is similar to the webmaster's, but with a twist.

I had a bad experience installing RAM into an Intel 865PERL. Upon booting, I saw a thin plume of smoke come from what looked like the hard drive area (I believe that is indeed what is was now).

The twist is that the BIOS *does* recognize the hard drive, but all of the auto-detected settings do not seem right (capacity=Empty, LBA not supported, 80pin cable etc.) I cannot boot from the drive as it hangs my new 865PERL. On another board, the system boots, but does not recognize the drive (in the BIOS yes, in Windows no). One time Windows picked up the drive as a new hardware device, but it never displayed in my computer or device manager.

In both cases, the disk does not spin up, but the logic board is very hot. The drive seemed fine, and it seems that the board burned out something, but it is hard for me to believe that it "burned out" my data on the drive.

I am thinking about trying the board swap. My HD is a WD800AB-22CBA1...is that how WD distinguishes different firmware and revision numbers? In other words, are all logic boards labeled WD800AB-22CBA1 the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: