www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 board w/ YAR41VW0 firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krishna
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Wanted: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 board w/ YAR41VW0 firmware Reply with quote

I managed to fry my hard disk yesterday, by trying to hot plug it (using a SATA dongle.) Looks like there was a static discharge which killed the drive.
Now the drive does not spin up and is not recognised in the BIOS.

Could someone help me obtain a replacement board for my drive which is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with Code: YAR41VW0
It also has the markings E4FYA on the IDE connector, but I'm under the impression this is less important to match exactly.

Thanks in advance,
Krishna.
________
Buy easy vape

Last edited by Krishna on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ranikolahdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: pcb board Reply with quote

i have it
contact me on serbia@helpdisc.com
Krishna
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ranikolahdd,
I sent you an email, but have not received any reply...

Also, a few questions regarding matching DiamondMax controller boards to the gurus:
Does the firmware version have to match exactly?
Apparently there are 2 different firmwares for the 60GB/platter drives:
YAR41VW0 and YAR41BV0. Can I use a controller board with YAR41BV0 on my drive?
Where is the firmware located on the controller board? I can see 3 8 pin chips that look like EPROMs on my board. Maybe I can get a compatible board with an incorrect firmware and attempt an EPROM switch.
Finally, an even more far out idea:
Would a YAR51VW0 controller board from a 6YxxxM0 series drive have a chance of working?

Krishna
________
Mazda 737C Picture

Last edited by Krishna on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ranikolahdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

sorry i had a lot off things on mind
marceljack
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Firmware Reply with quote

Krishna wrote:
Does the firmware version have to match exactly?
Apparently there are 2 different firmwares for the 60GB/platter drives:
YAR41VW0 and YAR41BV0. Can I use a controller board with YAR41BV0 on my drive? Where is the firmware located on the controller board? I can see 3 8 pin chips that look like EPROMs on my board. Maybe I can get a compatible board with an incorrect firmware and attempt an EPROM switch.
The firmware is masked in the Ardent C5-C1 microcontroller, therefore cannot be changed.
Correction : there is a part of the firmware in an external 8 pins flash (near the 4 pins connector), and this is the part that customizes the board to fit the drive.

Quote:
Finally, an even more far out idea:
Would a YAR51VW0 controller board from a 6YxxxM0 series drive have a chance of working?
Krishna
See my post on board compatibility rules indicated by Maxtor support.

Last edited by marceljack on Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranikolahdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

he can try e4fy insted of D2XX board but he can change memory chip.
Only one part is masked on big chip and it is initialised only if head can not initialise from firmware on platters
doug2060
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the board you are looking for is on ebay right now.

PCB board for Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, code YAR41VW0 Buy it now $34.90
$12.50 shipping
auction ends 4/27/06[/url]
espresso
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Same boat... Reply with quote

Well, being a little slow on the draw when it comes to current computer parts, I managed to get the wrong controller board for my Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (6Y160P0) drive that fried its controller board a while back. I bought another drive and have confirmed that both physical drives are fine, but I need a controller card for one of them.

I went out and bought a board from eBay, thinking that all +9 drives that are 160 GB - ATA/133 - 8MB cache would be the same. Nope! Later drives have higher density platters and a different number of heads. I have an earlier drive (firmware code YAR41VW0 -- note the V), and I bought the card for a later drive (YAR41BW0 -- note the B).

Apparently, as long as the board comes from a 6Y drive and has the same firmware version number, it will work on any size drive in Maxtor's range. I'd prefer the same thing I *tried* to get (8MB cache, ATA/133), but I'll certainly entertain any other possibilities (ATA/100, 2MB cache, etc.). I just don't see the point in junking a usable set of platters and heads, and it would not be cost-effective to have to buy ANOTHER controller card for it because of my mistake.

I guarantee the card I have is not DOA, and it actually spins up my drive and detects in Windows XP, but of course Windows can't read anything off of the drive with the wrong controller firmware.

I'd absolutely love a straight across trade with me covering postage for us both, but I'll entertain offers if someone wants to buy the card outright, or has the one I need to sell outright, or other offers (just don't insult my intelligence -- I understand I may not come out without spending any money, but we all know what the drive itself is worth these days, and I'm already $40 into this for the YAR41BW0 controller).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: