www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: swapping boards on seagate HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galah
Posted once

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Question: swapping boards on seagate HDD Reply with quote

Hi all,

long time reader, first time poster, etc. etc.

I have a Seagate barracuda 7200.7 120GB IDE hdd which I mananged to crack the circuit board on (don't ask Embarassed but less than 350g's ) thankfully while the HDD was unplugged from any power and not spinning. The HDD now still spins up but bios does not detect it. When the drive spins up it sounds normal and there are no "bad" noises, so hopefully the internals are still ok.

I have read on these forums that I should be able to swap the board and assuming no internal damage to the HDD I will be back in business, but I was wondering what numbers on the drive do I need to match?

I guess the following need to match:
- model number - ST3120026A
- firmware version - 3.06
But what about:
- part number (p/n - 9W2083-301)
- hda part number (HDA p/n - 100264020)
- config code - DYY-11
and I suppose the following do not need to match:
- serial numner (s/n)
- date code - 03422
- site code - AMK

Any thoughts on what I do and don't need to match? If I connect a board with wrong firmware version (for example v3.01 firmware instead of v3.06) will I fry the drive and/or the data on the drive?

Searching this forum seems to tell me I need the same firmware, but that's proving a little difficult to track down at the moment...

Thanks in advance for hopefully helping to save me somewhere between $600 - $1500 to get back my data (which is not worth $1500 that's for sure)... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: