www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Maxtor 120GB and 80GB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon
Posted once

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Advice on Maxtor 120GB and 80GB Reply with quote

hey guys, i love this site and i think if anywhere it is the perfect place to get advice...My story is as follows:

I move my PC between University and Home about 6 times a year. Every other time it has been fine, but just today, i set it all up pressed power button and it seemed fine.

I went away from the screen and came back to see the computer mysteriously powerdown whilst it was idle on xp login screen. I thought "ummm wtf?" so i pressed power again. This time i got a BIOS error saying something about my hard disk not bein plugged in and then suddenly once again the system powered down mid-error message.

I was slightly confused and finally pressed power up a third time, however, this time nothing happened and i get no fans sounding, no POST beeping just a green light on my motherboard.

I think the power supply somehow blew out but i thought hey just want to confirm i still have my data. I moved my two MAXTOR hard disks that i had to another working computer and to my astonishment they have suddenly gone dead. I mean no noise, no spinning, no BIOS recognition, BOTH of them!

My question is that im not a hardware expert but I think this implies that, like the story on the site the two logic boards are fried in my hard disks?

The two hard disks were both working fine before hand so surely they both cant just die mechanically on me simultaneously? The specs for them are:

Maxtor 80GB: Model - 4D080H4 | HDA - 24A | PCBA - 03A
Maxtor 120GB: Model - 6Y120L0 | ? | ?

I mean what kinda things should i do to these disks now to fix them? Could a mechanical problem occur as a result of some power fluctuation? Or is it definately logic board frying that happens as a result of power fluctuations?

Any advice appreciated,

Simon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi the problem is more likely that your power supply in the pc has friend the main logic boards.
or a huge static shock from your power cord

its very unlikely its a mechanically problem as your hard drive where working good to begin with and there no noise coming out.

i would say that there a 50 to 50 chance getting the logic boards repaired
and then it should work for you

so it does not happen again make sure you buy a good surge protector
to keep your pc system safe from this type of problem and get a good
hard drive cooler fan on your machine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: