www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short list of drives up for grabs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Short list of drives up for grabs. Reply with quote

I just recovered info off of two dead drive and I could not have done it with out this forum.

So in an effort to give back, I went through all my drives and I am will to part with anyone of them that will help any one.

Most are old but working, I will note where I think there might be problems.

WD2500 - WD2500JP-00kfa0 - Brand new IDE, perfect condition, Need full price for this one, I only used it for a couple of hours, then went and bought and SATA drive instead. Would trade for a SATA drive.

WD400BB-00DEA0 - 40 Gb WD - works, replaced board

WD153BA-00AGA0 - 15.3 Gb WD - works

IBM DTLA-307045 - 46.1 Gb - works

IBM IC35L040AVER07-0 - 41.0 Gb - works

WD200AB-00CMB0 - 20 Gb - works

AC24300-00LC - West Dig 4.3 Gb - board worked last time I fired it up, but I don't assume it is reliable. I would only use it to get what you need and get out.

WDAC22100-00H - 2.1 Gb - board worked last time I fired it up, but I don't assume it is reliable. I would only use it to get what you need and get out. I used it to recover data off of a 1.7 Gb WD and it worked, then put it back together.

I also have a 82 Gb IBM that was getting hot and dropping out constantly, but I finally was able to get all the info off the drive. If someone wants to use parts off this and needs it, they can have it as long as they cover shipping.
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Found another Reply with quote

Quantum - 4320AT - ST43A461 Rev02

No clue if it works, but probably does, I'll check if your interested.
doug2060
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much for this one: IBM DTLA-307045 - 46.1 Gb - works
shipping to 28043 US
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: IBM 46.1 Gb Reply with quote

Is $50 too much?
hdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug2060 wrote:
How much for this one: IBM DTLA-307045 - 46.1 Gb - works
shipping to 28043 US

You will want the correct MLC or a waste of money.. Shocked
freakneck
Active contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Still available ? Reply with quote

Hi, keylow, I know this post is somewhat old, but I'm looking for a WD153 drive. Is that one still available ? And if so, what is the DCM number on the label ?

Thaks in advance,

fN
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, lets see...

DCM: RSCB
BVHAO

???

Does that sound right?
freakneck
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds right. I've got a WD153BA-00AGA0 also, that after a power failure at my home, the controller on it fried (as well as the PC power supply, and a WD400 drive). I was looking for a replacement controller board and was advised by a place that specializes in HD's that in addition to the full model number matching, the DCM# needs to match as well. The DCM of the drive I have here is DSBB NVHHO.

I had also been told by another place, that the DCM number doesn't matter, as long as the full model number matches. I don't know who to believe.

Let me ask you this....your first post indicated that you had a WD400BB that the board was replaced on. Was it the same DCM# ?

Thanks,

fN
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Dead WD's Reply with quote

The 15.3 GB is P/N WD153BA-00AGA0

Now this is where it gets weird. With WD I have had luck with drives that match the p/n exactly, no problem. Of course I have also had luck with drives that don't match exactly and I have had ones that appear similar but all they do is spin the platers.

What I haven't had yet (knock on wood) is a drive get damaged by putting the wrong board on it. I must say, I almost had this happen when I had a drive that teh board from another drive appeared to match, but somehow I ended up with one extra screw to hold the board on. As it turned out the holes in the board lined up. Only upon closer inspection the point on the drive case that was supposed to line up with the hole was actually hitting on some traces on the pcb. This could have been bad, so I scratched that idea.

I would say, (but the decision comes back to you), if the P/N numbers match exactly...go for it, you shouldn't have any problems.

You still have decent chance of success with the wrong board off a same model.

You even have a half ass decent chance if the drive you are robbing the board from is the same series, only a different size as the one you have, i.e. the dead drive is a 10 Gb with 2 platters and the donor drive is a 15 Gb with 3 platters and all the holes line up (does this make sense?). I have had this work once, maybe twice.

Hope this helps.

Also, one of the 40 Gb drives I have is a WD400BB-00DEA0, i have another around here somewhere but don't know what kind it is until I find it.
freakneck
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I posted I read thru many of the posts in this forum.

I found many of them very interesting. There was a post, or maybe it was a link in a post, I can't remember, but it was about how each HD may be completely unique. It may have some slight differences in the bios, or whatever is was, that you wouldn't think would be in a production line environment. What I found intriguing about it is that a friend of mine told me the exact same thing just a few weeks ago. He has built some stress test stations for Maxtor, and he got a LOT of theory from it.

Apparently, the closer the manufacture date is to the hosed drive the better the chance of being successful. My WD153 mfg date is 09/2000, and the controller # is 0000 600841-000 ED2 1450. A bios chip swap means nothing to me, as I do SMT rework all day long, even fine pitch stuff, a lot of it by hand under a microscope.

I guess the real question is......is the controller # & mfg date anywhere near the one on the drive you have, and if so, what's the asking price on the drive, if, you still want to part with it ? (The controller board is NOT the 'L' shaped one.)

Thanks again,

fN
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticker on the card says 0000 600841 - 000 cd2 2440

It was manufactured 05 May 2000

I would only want $15.00 plus shipping
freakneck
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'll get back to you next week...payday is next Friday, the 17th. I know w/shipping it's $20'ish, but I'm strapped until then. Everthing comes due all at the same time.

I aso made a mistake in the mfg date. I didn't write the whole date...it's 9 May 2000. I don't think you can get much closer than that.

fN
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Good, good luck

Do you have paypal?
freakneck
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no PP, I'd have to send a money order via snail mail, if that's OK with you.

I never had a PP account, and made the wife disconnect hers after reading about some of the horror stories with them freezing peoples accounts when there had been vendor disputes.

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

fN
keylow
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Hit me up on my email account for the address when you are ready

keylow13@ h otmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: