www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help with SAMSUNG SP2014N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaclavek
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: need help with SAMSUNG SP2014N Reply with quote

hi everybody!

first i must say how happy i am that this site exists and that i read almost all the other stories before.

my deadharddrive-story starts with me in the shower listening to some mp3-music from my laptop, when suddenly the music starts skipping like on a scratched cd. first i think that it's a bad mp3-rip but after skipping to different tracks ALL songs are skipping and windows-explorer isn't showing the foldercontents anymore. the mp3s are stored on a external hdd which is connected by an ide-to-usb connector. so i deplug the hdd and after replugging it i discover that the hdd doesn't even spin up anymore. makes no sound at all. and i discover a slight burnt smell when close to the pcb.
after a lot of searching around and reading about the freezertrick (which seems to work only for mechanical problems) and way-too-high prices by ontrack & co i land on this wonderful site and i think that the pcb must have been hit by a voltage-peak or something.
now comes the best: on the same day in the same shop i bought exactly 2 identical harddrives! so full of confidence i replace the pcb with the one from the still working hdd and plug in first the electrical connection and... THE DRIVE SPINS UP! ... but... it makes 2-3 klicky sounds and after plugging in the usb-connection the klicky sound repeats constantly and the drive doesn't appear in windows.
after having a closer look on both hdds: the data on the hdd-label is absolutely identical (appart from the serial-numbers), but looking at the pcb i found that some numbers on the chips where different!

i guess that because of the different chips the drive-control is somehow different and that's what makes the heads not approach correctly and makes the klicky sound. or it might be, that the heads/platters where also harmed and maybe i should even try the 'freezing trick' after the drive spins now (???)

WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT??? any suggestions? do i have to try now to find a pcb with exactly the same chips (still can't believe it: how many people buy on the same day 2 identical 200GB-drives and all the label-numbers are the same but the pcb is full of different chips!?)
i tried finding a spare-pcb on http://www.ultratec.co.uk and http://softcom.com.my but they don't have it online so i wrote them by email.

can i maybe try to fix something on the faulty pcb? i don't see any blackened connections i just remember that slight burnt smell after it broke down.

any ideas?
hdd
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: need help with SAMSUNG SP2014N Reply with quote

I would take pictures of the top label and also the PCB and send to

www.ultratec.co.uk sales email.... This will give them more info. I always send them pictures Cool Cool

vaclavek wrote:
hi everybody!

first i must say how happy i am that this site exists and that i read almost all the other stories before.

my deadharddrive-story starts with me in the shower listening to some mp3-music from my laptop, when suddenly the music starts skipping like on a scratched cd. first i think that it's a bad mp3-rip but after skipping to different tracks ALL songs are skipping and windows-explorer isn't showing the foldercontents anymore. the mp3s are stored on a external hdd which is connected by an ide-to-usb connector. so i deplug the hdd and after replugging it i discover that the hdd doesn't even spin up anymore. makes no sound at all. and i discover a slight burnt smell when close to the pcb.
after a lot of searching around and reading about the freezertrick (which seems to work only for mechanical problems) and way-too-high prices by ontrack & co i land on this wonderful site and i think that the pcb must have been hit by a voltage-peak or something.
now comes the best: on the same day in the same shop i bought exactly 2 identical harddrives! so full of confidence i replace the pcb with the one from the still working hdd and plug in first the electrical connection and... THE DRIVE SPINS UP! ... but... it makes 2-3 klicky sounds and after plugging in the usb-connection the klicky sound repeats constantly and the drive doesn't appear in windows.
after having a closer look on both hdds: the data on the hdd-label is absolutely identical (appart from the serial-numbers), but looking at the pcb i found that some numbers on the chips where different!

i guess that because of the different chips the drive-control is somehow different and that's what makes the heads not approach correctly and makes the klicky sound. or it might be, that the heads/platters where also harmed and maybe i should even try the 'freezing trick' after the drive spins now (???)

WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT??? any suggestions? do i have to try now to find a pcb with exactly the same chips (still can't believe it: how many people buy on the same day 2 identical 200GB-drives and all the label-numbers are the same but the pcb is full of different chips!?)
i tried finding a spare-pcb on http://www.ultratec.co.uk and http://softcom.com.my but they don't have it online so i wrote them by email.

can i maybe try to fix something on the faulty pcb? i don't see any blackened connections i just remember that slight burnt smell after it broke down.

any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: