www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Success in replacing logic board on Maxtor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazper
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Success in replacing logic board on Maxtor Reply with quote

Back in July my sister's PC took a power hit and it fried the logic board on the Maxtor 20GB DiamondMax VL 40. She was upset that her data was gone mainly her digital pictures which include pictures of her dog that recently died. I called several data recovery companies and all wanted hundreds of dollars and I suspected the platter was fine and it was just a power problem since I could see the chip that had a burnt hole in it. After searching the web for a few days for the correct PCB logic board (including ebay which came close but not close enough) I came across this site and started reading through the forums and discovered very helpful information. I figured I was not going to find parts for such an old 20GB drive but found it at http://www.softcom.com.my/. The board was not listed on their site so I emailed them and was told they had one. After a few emails I was able to get the board mailed to me and I installed it today and the drive is working fine and I am able to back-up all the data. It took a couple of weeks to arrive since it was being shipped from Malaysia to the US but it arrived without any problems. They even sent me an email to track the package and wanted me to let them know when it arrived to make sure I got it. It was a pleasure dealing with them.

I just want to thank the admins for running deadharddive.com, the members that posted help and http://www.softcom.com.my/ for excellent service.

For now on I will be saving the logic boards on all my failed drives from home and work in the event they may help someone else recover their data.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: