www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different Method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plugues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Different Method Reply with quote

So this is my story: been working with tech support for 10 years and never had a disk crashing on me. This month some stupid electrician screwed up my building's electrical inlet and my stuff started to burn. I lost 2 power supplies, one motherboard and a Seagate Hard Disk. It was no longer recognized by the BIOS, though it still powered up.

Inspired by this site, I decided to go after an identical disk to exchange logic boards. It didn't work, although both had the same model number and firmware. Later I noticed that some chips were different and they had different PART NUMBERS as well.

Now the good part: I didn't want to give up hope, so again I removed the screwed up logic board and looked around. I noticed the connectors on the board were a bit darkened, as if something had been burned and stuck to the metallic bits. Their color resembled the substance that builds up on very old batteries.

So I decided to clean them up with isopropyl, which wasn't much help. Then it popped in my head: I grabbed a regular school eraser and scraped off the connectors. They were once again shiny metallic. Turned the computer on and - ta-da, the disk was recognized by the BIOS.

Seagate diagnostic software still accused some errors, but at least the drive was booting and I could backup my stuff.

Cheers

Mike
Zeneca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: worked on my 160. gb seagate Reply with quote

stupid question though, the drive boots up fine no problems after id done the same but could the drive still be usefull? or should i not even take a chance on it and let it die.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by connectors? I want to clean my connectors with an eraser but I am not sure what connectors you are talking about. Please Help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you shuold do both. it was a power surge. the ide connecters and the power supply would have gotten hit then. I gotta try that eraser thing on my Harddrive...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: