www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate disk doesn't do anything

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Seagate disk doesn't do anything Reply with quote

My disk died a couple of days ago. I was working normally when it began having an intense activity (the disk led was bright red), followed by sounds similar to the ones a 56k modem does. Shortly after, the computer crashed. Following the reboot.. nothing. The disk wasn't being detected by the BIOS.

I've tried using Knoppix, but couldn't see the disk either. I then tried connecting it to a USB box, but nothing... the disk doesn't even start.

Even though the drive's over 3 years old (warranty ended just 2 months ago - way to go, Seagate), I've managed to track down someone selling the exact same model and firmware (second hand). So I'm thinking about buying it to try a PCB swap, but first I wanted to know if that's a good thing or just going to waste my money.

I've talked to a couple of friends who told me the PCB swap quite probably won't do a thing, cause if there was a sound it means the failure's mechanic. Is that right? Is there any way I can see if a PCB swap would work or I have to risk it? And is there anything else I can try? One of'em mentioned trying to start the disk manually (actually pushing it), but I'm afraid that'll damage everything irreversably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: