www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The craziest thing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: The craziest thing... Reply with quote

The craziest thing just happened to me. A while ago, I posted here my hard drive problem. It was working normally and, all of a sudden, it began screeching like a 56 kbps modem and died. All subsequent attempts to get it to work (using knoppix, trying in another computer, etc) failed. So I've decided to try what was announced here: PCB swap. Which was a pain, since the hard drive was 3 years old.

After browsing 2nd hand ads, I've managed to track down an identical match... model number, firmware and even part number matched. So I bought it. Did the PCB swap and, oh joy, it worked! I've managed to get everything out of it. Then I've swapped PCBs again. At this moment, my brother told me to try to connect the old drive with its original PCB to see if it worked. I thought it didn't, but what the hell, had nothing to lose... so we've tested it. And the damn thing worked again.

What could have caused this weird resurrection? The awful noise it made when it died made me believe the PCB was fried, but reattaching it solved the problem... the drive's been working perfectly. I'm glad I managed to get everything out of it, but this is just damn weird.
Subzuki
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: The craziest thing... Reply with quote

Probably overheated the drive and it made the sound as it seized up. Seeing as you didn't use it for a while, it was cooled enough for it to go again. It may do that again eventually.

Anybody else with a better possible reason?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: