www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30GB, thought I had it, HELP !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoth
Posted once

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30GB, thought I had it, HELP ! Reply with quote

I have a Fireball Plus AS that just died all of a sudden and made the clank clank sound, no longer recognized by the BIOS. I scoured the net for help and learned about just swapping the controller with another drive.

It just so happened that my slave drive was the same Fireball Plus AS 30GB. Trying to be careful I bought a new 80GB drive and backed up the working Fireball to the new drive. I then swapped the controller boards....

The drive now gets recognized by the BIOS for a few moments and then gives me a "Fixed drive error" and removes itself from the BIOS (for lack of better decription). There is no clunk clunk sound anymore but I still cannot get at my files. I've tried PowerMax to no avail because the drive is no longer recognized by the BIOS by the time PowerMax fires up.

I then tried the working drive with the "bad" controller and got the clunk clunk.

So, I assume it was the controller that fried, but am at a loss at this point. I cannot figure out what firmware each uses to see if that is the problem.

Anyone ???
gordo
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a 40gb maxtor fireball 3 in my tivo which i decided to upgrade after copying data.turns out tivo locks there maxtor drives which you have to use a program to unlock.if used wrong it permantly locks the board of the drive and makes it unseeable to bios which i did.i purchased a 40gb fireball 3 harddrive on ebay and swapped boards and now my drive works again.i didnt know the firmware number,so either i got lucky or you just need the correct size drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: