www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got it working, sort of, but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankienap
Posted once

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Got it working, sort of, but... Reply with quote

I have an IBM travelstar hard drive, 40gb capacity. 3 weeks ago I had an encounter with the dreaded clicking sound, very bad. My BIOS would not even recognize the drive. I tried everything I could and then sent the drive off to VioPlex, which sent it back, informing me that they couldn't find a replacement drive with the same circuit board # to use to operate with. Somewhat miffed, I spent the last few weeks trying to track down a replacement drive. I finally got one, switched the logic board, and Vwa La! the drive now spins and is recognized (although not mounted) in Windows. Problem, when I opened the drive I mistakenly first unscrewed the top portion of the drive. Seeing the plates I screamed (inwardly) and quickly put the top back on. After which I proceeded to switch the boards. Now upon recovery, I can't seem to find more than a few (about 4 mb worth of) files. Is this possibly because I exposed the drive platter?!?! If so, is there anything I can do short of sending this off to a data recovery company again (if that would even work)?
-Frank
nev
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guesses - it could be :
- due to the platter exposure
- or slightly diffferent firmware
- or when the first logic board died it stuffed up the data somehow

There are probably some programs you could try that look at the low level data on drives. The data recovery companies would certainly have a good chance of getting something back now that you have a new logic board.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wont have damaged it by having the platters exposed
its more likely not the right logic board and it can not find where to start of and where the information is stored etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: