www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maxtor drive with bad servo motor attempting platter swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjotech
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: maxtor drive with bad servo motor attempting platter swap Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt to swap platters on two identical drives.

1.) how critical is dust? will my drive work at least once for a few hours so I can recover my data?

2.) do I need to build a clean environment?

3.) will it be cheaper to build my own box or send away for data recovery?

my ideas were to by a cheap sandblasting box and hook up my vacuum to it with a hepa filter.
LarryB
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is more than one platter they have to be aligned up exactly with each other in the rotational direction. Your drive reads data from all of the heads at the same time. If any one of the heads are not aligned up with your original data track, you have no data. This means that you should also move the headstack. Dust is more of a problem with the newer drives than the older drives. Dust will keep the head off the disk surface and in some cases will cause your head to flip up-side-down.
See: http://hddguru.com/content/en/articles/2006.02.17-Changing-headstack-Q-and-A/
You will also have lots of fun trying to get the heads back on the platter without damage.
Good luck and may the Force be with you.
wingatesl
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the type of drive (not WD!) I have had some limited sucess with pressing the spindle out of the case. leaving the platters in place. older maxtors mostly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: