www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maxtor Nebula detected at startup and 15 sec head clicking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef51
Posted once

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Maxtor Nebula detected at startup and 15 sec head clicking Reply with quote

Hi! Got a drive from a friend that does not work anymore. Looks like firmware problem but I also have clicking head noise also.
(same thing..? )

maxtor 51536h2
Diamondmax 45 plus
15.3gigs
firmware JAC61HU0
logic board nebula 301334101
Manufactured in 2000

In the bios, in auto detect, detect nothing.
I write the cylinder/head manually in Bios, same problem.
At startup, the drive is reported as Maxtor Nebula but is not recognized in Dos or Windows.
When power is on (and this is the same with IDE cable unplugged), the drive spins, and start clicking about 2 times per seconds, going to about 3 times per seconds after 5 seconds. The clicking stops at 15 seconds. If Windows continue to download, eventually the computer reboots.

So basically what should I tell my friend about his options? Seems like recovery from firmware could be possible but it seems like from what I'm reading that the majority of people don't get the heads clicking if firmware is the problem though it might be what this model does..?

Many thanks!

Stephen
deadhardrive
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Clicking noise definitly can come from firmware...actually it does this more often than you might imagine.
You have a few free option to try to get your data back...check here for the causes of the clicking noise and the options that goes along...

http://deadhardrive.blogspot.com/2011/05/clicking-noise-of-hard-drive.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: