www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Supply Failure Fried 2 WD Hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistapony
Posted once

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Power Supply Failure Fried 2 WD Hard drives Reply with quote

My power supply in my desktop shorted out and took both of my drives out with it. Neither will spin up at all. The data on the drives are very important, pictures home movies for the past 4 years stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure that both PCB motor control chips got burnt when it happened. So the drives themeselves are probably fine.

So on the search for drives on ebay.

My drives are WD1600JB-00GVA0 and WD800JB-00JJA0.

I just received a matching WD800JB that I won and swapped out the PCB board. The drive will now spin up but is being recognized by the bios as a WDC ROM MODEL SABRE. Which i don't believe is correct. Anyway Linux nor windows recognize the drive and neither does fdisk.

I am afraid to bid on a WD1600 now that I fear this isn't going to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

Thanks in advance
hddstudio
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Power Supply Failure Fried 2 WD Hard drives Reply with quote

mistapony wrote:
My power supply in my desktop shorted out and took both of my drives out with it. Neither will spin up at all. The data on the drives are very important, pictures home movies for the past 4 years stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure that both PCB motor control chips got burnt when it happened. So the drives themeselves are probably fine.

So on the search for drives on ebay.

My drives are WD1600JB-00GVA0 and WD800JB-00JJA0.

I just received a matching WD800JB that I won and swapped out the PCB board. The drive will now spin up but is being recognized by the bios as a WDC ROM MODEL SABRE. Which i don't believe is correct. Anyway Linux nor windows recognize the drive and neither does fdisk.

I am afraid to bid on a WD1600 now that I fear this isn't going to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

Thanks in advance

Must find : WDxxxxJB - 00GVA0 (this is important) and WDxxxxJB - 00JJA0...
Other : After you find the exact donor, you must resolder the "ROM" from the malfunctioning PCB to the new PCB, otherwise, it just won't work.

BE VERY CAREFUL !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NeGrusti
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to the extent of resoldering flash yourself,
you just need to find the board with the number printed on it matching yours.
For WD1600JB-00GVA0 I believe it is
2060-001265-001 REV A
and for WD800JB-00JJA0 it should be
2060-001292-000 REV A

2nd board we have in stock.
PM if you need it.
matrix
Posted once

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: burned smell at power supply Reply with quote

This drive went unrecognized last 8.27.07. Put it back on last January 2008 and it worked. It died again today after a warm reboot and it smell something electronic got burned on the PCB.

Drive: WD800 SN: WCAM9139159
MOdel: WD800JB - 00JJA0
Date: 18 Sept 2004
DCM: HSBHYAJAH
Product of Thailand

PCB Number: 2060-001292-000 Rev A

It matches with NeGrusti number. Taking out the Rom or flash from the old one and solder it on a new PCB looks impossible to me. I never have done it with small electronics. I have a standard soldering iron. Can I just installed a new PCB and hope it works? or it needs its old ROM or Flash?
RockwellRyan
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: PCB Compatibility? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm trying to figure all this out but it's a lot of info to take in. I also had a power surge and shorted out a drive that I must have back. Anyone have an idea if this is compatible?

Board 1 (bad):
160GB Western Digital Caviar
P/N: WD1600JB-00GVA0
DCM: HSBHCVJCH
2061-001265-200 AD
Date: 24 Oct, 2004

Board 2 (good, purchased off Ebay)
160GB Western Digital Caviar
P/N: WD1600JB-00GVA0
DCM: DSBHCTJAH
2061-001265-200 AF
Date: 10 Jan, 2005

Summary: different country, slightly different DCM (but the 2 and 7 match and a different last number on the motor number). Too different to be worth swapping the U12 chip?
hddstudio
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two won't match
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: