www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellopeople
Posted once

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Reply with quote

My story:

I had a drive stop working. My PC was on, I'd just booted up, Windows asked to install its genuine verification thing, I accidently clicked cancel, turned my back and heard a blip or fzz and the PC went dead.

In many subsequent boot ups my PC went to the:

"We apologise for any inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this....."

I had 4 boot up options available:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with command prompt

Last known good configuration

and

Start Windows normally.

None of them worked and I was constantly led back to that screen. I COULD hit DEL and get into BIOS...but no drives were recognised.

Anyhoo, after a while mny PC stopped even turning on. I tried slaving the drive up to another PC but it would not power on

Anyway...I DID have an identical HD at my disposal, so I tried the technique of switching the circuit boards. And I tried my problematic HD as a slave. This DID NOT work for me. All I got was nothing at all on the monitor. Initially it did power up and it went through the preliminary cycles of a normal booting PC (but never to the Windows symbol). But like I said...just a blank screen...like the monitor wasn't even on.

So, to finish my story, I had such a hellish time with this that I decided to cut my losses and not risk my PC (which I did a reinstall with on my old slave drive which is now my main drive). I just got the feeling that I didn't want that dodgy HD near anything, so I unplugged it and put it in the cupboard.

There's some stuff on there I would really like to get back...but as I said, it's just too hellish to continue the fight. It's really strength sapping stuff.

I've never had a HD fail like that before. It just came out of the clear blue sky. I can only hope that my new drive performs better. It's a Barracuda as well.

Also, I will be a bit more dilligent about backing up important files these days. My mode of operation will be to save such files on DVD's and then store those DVD's in the cupboard. I feel this will be fine.

One day I hope to get some inspiration and get that drive going again. I still have the other circuit board...but it's summer here right now, I have no aircon and it's a bitch to stuff around with PCs and fiddly crap in these conditions.

I'm going to aircon in the future too. I think it's better for PC's.

Anyway, that's my story
hddstudio
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Reply with quote

If you do have an "identical PCB board", why don't you try "HOT SWAP" procedure ? It's about guaranteed 99% works in your case...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: