www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate 7200.7 has thrown its mortal coil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaitain
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Seagate 7200.7 has thrown its mortal coil Reply with quote

Normally if a hard disc dies, I shrug, throw it in the bin, buy another and restore the contents from backup, but this one is different. It's a) part of a raid0 array (stupid), b) contains my wedding photos and c) died before a backup could be made.

It's "b" that makes the difference here.

The drive spins up, and while it's cold it'll report to BIOS. If I have to reboot for any reason, it doesn't appear. It then causes Windows to take approximately an hour and a half to boot into Windows, therein operating slowly. From about 2 minutes after cold-starting the computer until it's switched off again, the drive will make the same repetitive seeking noises.

I have tried the "in a bag in the freezer" thing: I froze the HD in a sealed bag with some silica gel to prevent condensation/frosting, with the cables in place. When the device was suitably chilled, I kept it that way by part immersing the bag in iced water (0ºC) whilst trying to start windows. This made absolutely no difference.

The next least invasive thing I can do is swap out the controller. The drive's vital statistics are:

Model No: ST380013AS
Part No: 9W2812-351
HDA P/N 100275523
Config: VEJ-04
Firmware: 3.18
Date Code: 04457
Site Code: WU
HD Controller: ST

I have been offered a controller that is almost identical except for the following:
Config VEJ-03
Data code 04353
HD Controller: AGERE

So the controller chipset is different. Based on this, what's the likelihood of the proposed replacement working?

Alternatively: the second half of the RAID0 is an exactly identical drive to the failed one. Is there any software that can rip the data from a failed array a drive at a time, then reconstruct it later?

Your help appreciated.
hddstudio
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seagate 7200.7 has thrown its mortal coil Reply with quote

kaitain wrote:
Normally if a hard disc dies, I shrug, throw it in the bin, buy another and restore the contents from backup, but this one is different. It's a) part of a raid0 array (stupid), b) contains my wedding photos and c) died before a backup could be made.

It's "b" that makes the difference here.

The drive spins up, and while it's cold it'll report to BIOS. If I have to reboot for any reason, it doesn't appear. It then causes Windows to take approximately an hour and a half to boot into Windows, therein operating slowly. From about 2 minutes after cold-starting the computer until it's switched off again, the drive will make the same repetitive seeking noises.

I have tried the "in a bag in the freezer" thing: I froze the HD in a sealed bag with some silica gel to prevent condensation/frosting, with the cables in place. When the device was suitably chilled, I kept it that way by part immersing the bag in iced water (0ºC) whilst trying to start windows. This made absolutely no difference.

The next least invasive thing I can do is swap out the controller. The drive's vital statistics are:

Model No: ST380013AS
Part No: 9W2812-351
HDA P/N 100275523
Config: VEJ-04
Firmware: 3.18
Date Code: 04457
Site Code: WU
HD Controller: ST

I have been offered a controller that is almost identical except for the following:
Config VEJ-03
Data code 04353
HD Controller: AGERE

So the controller chipset is different. Based on this, what's the likelihood of the proposed replacement working?

Alternatively: the second half of the RAID0 is an exactly identical drive to the failed one. Is there any software that can rip the data from a failed array a drive at a time, then reconstruct it later?

Your help appreciated.

Well RAID 0 is not so difficult to deal with... Smile. However, in your case, I think the problem is that too many weak sectors. So it's difficult for the head to find the correct method of reading (it has to read repeatedly at those weak sectors. The sounds you heard is the sound of the head mechanism trying to adjust its position. But it seems to me that it has failed to find one.

Well, the PCB swap will not help on this one. Moreover, the controller is different, so I don't think it's gonna work. The best choice you have here, is to open the HDA case inside a "Clean Room". Get the protable one, it's worth it I think..www.bassaire.co.uk.

When you got it, you can contact me at my e-mail address
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kaitain
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have clean facilities at work. What do I need to do to the drive in there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: