www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help identifying chips on a burned HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Need help identifying chips on a burned HDD Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I found my harddrive not letting the computer start, the topic is here: http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=669609
But, after working with it, it turned out that there was a burned diode that was causing the problem. Somewhere on deadharddrive forums there was a suggestions to just take it out, which I did, but then replaced it with some other diode (thought it wouldn't do any harm).
The harddrive worked fine for about five minutes, and I was about to start backing up my stuff, when it stopped responding and I smelled burned plastic... Now it looks like this:

Yeah.. it's not good.
This is the diode I replaced:

and these are the two chips that burned that I need to replace (from what I can see):
This one has markings: "M54RN L--" (can't see last two symbols)

and this one, with markings: "F(cursive) PF4FF FOFS ---A" (can't read three symbols before A)

Some info about the HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB
Model: ST3300831A
P/N: 9Y7284-301
Firmware: 3.03
Data Code: 06083

I have important data on it that I would like to recover, but I want to try to get it out myself before dishing out 150 for another one to replace the PCB or 500 for lab people to scan it with a microscope.

Thanks! Any help would be greately appreciated. Even if you just know what they might be (type), it would help a alot.

Thanks

--Mac
NeGrusti
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your data is really important,
I wouldn't recommend doing what you want to do.
You don't know what else is damaged on your PCB;
there might be for example burned leads in the middle layers of the board - something you cannot see!
It's quite possible what if you replace the chips, the new ones will burn too!
What's worse, there is an electronic component inside the drive enclosure, and with you experiments you can damage it too (and then I believe in US it will be way more than $500).
Get new identical HDD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: