www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i cant believe ive just killed my maxtor diamondmax plus 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigsize
Posted once

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: i cant believe ive just killed my maxtor diamondmax plus 8 Reply with quote

The motherboard on my p.c burnt out a few months ago, a freind gave me his old p.c and another friend who is a so called computer 'geek' and works as an i.t consultant, tried to fit my hd to it. I was told by my friend that the hd was not compatable so i just left it as i could not afford a new p.c. Yesterday i decided i would try and fix this problem myself so i fitted the hd and turned it on, the hd was not recognised, i took the hd drive back out and noticed the jumper was set to slave, i set the jumper to master and tried again. Badabing!!! It worked i was so pleased, all my music and video files were in front of me, i felt i was on a roll so as the p.c was slower than my last i installed more ram, when i turned my p.c back on a blue light and smoke came from a chip on the logic board on my hd, now my hd is not recognised, convinced i had lost all of my files due to being cocky i felt relitively depressed, then when on the home computer (mac), i tried a search for data recovery, the prices were scandolous and they were not guaranteing recovery of files, then i came across this site and a glimmer of hope was offered to me, i am going to try replacing the logic board over the next few weeks and i will post my results. If anyone has any tips i would appriciate them, My hd is a Maxtor 3.5 series Diamondmax plus 8 ATA/133 40 gb
TOOL HOG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: IDEA Reply with quote

Find a computer recycler they recieve the highest number of
controller cards for an HDD, if it is too new one may still show up
at a recycler and if the warrenty or whatever does not cover you drive
I am fairly sure your drive still has the info.
I understand from a friend that a new card does not promise the drive
will be fixed , but mabey , my other first posting is one possible
solution look for user name TOOL HOG to see how I got my info back
with an incorrect controller card...regards...TOOL HOG in .ca
Subzuki
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: I cant believe ive just killed my maxtor diamondmax plus 8 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Toolhog had a similar problem. His Maxtor drive went up in a puff of smoke also. I changed the board for him and it worked perfectly. His drive was different than yours, but the symptoms are the same. I suspect that if you replace the board, all will be well. No guarantee, but like Toolhog once told me, "The worst that can happen, is it won't work!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: