www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD1600JB used as an external B/U is dead. PCB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunburninaz
Posted once

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: WD1600JB used as an external B/U is dead. PCB? Reply with quote

I've been using an extra WD hard drive as a backup in an external enclosure. I was recently experiencing a myriad of issues with my laptop so I decided to reformat the thing and start fresh. I b/u'd the laptop to the external, reformatted and then reloaded just the programs I wanted or used on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I neglected to restore a large number of files back to the laptop (hey, I had time, right?). Unfortunately in the interim, the external WD has stopped powering up (spinning). When I apply power to it, there is nothing - no sound, no light, no recognition, nada. I have tested another drive in the enclosure so I don't believe that it's a power supply issue.

All I remember about the night the drive died was that the laptop froze at one point. It wouldn't power off at all. I must have finally gotten the power button to work as even if I had unplugged it, as a laptop it would have continued to run. After the power down, it would not boot by any method. I finally disconnected all peripherals - including the external HD - and was able to boot the laptop. It was immediately after this that I noticed that the external drive wasn't functioning.

From what I've been reading online, I believe it may be a PCB issue. The details of my drive are as follows:

MDL: WD1600JB-00EVA0
Date: May, 2004
DCM: HSBACTJAH

PCB 2061-001179-100 AA

Does this sound like a reasonable conclusion? I've had quotes at data recovery places ranging from $500 to $2000. Frankly, though there are thousands of family photos on the drive, I already have hard copies of most of the ones I'd want. The hardest thing to replace would be a family tree file dating both sides of my family back to the 1600's.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
RussWinters
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If the unit is out of warranty or you value the data more; I would dismantle the enclosure itself and extract the hard drive enclosed within. Once you have done that carefully remove the PCB from the drive and inspect it for any noticible burn damage. If there is none that does not mean the PCB is working; sometimes it may not be visible.

If you can post a good resolution picture of the PCB.
Eric Lee
Deadharddrive regular +4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We got your PCB for sale, we believe that the exactly PCB No. in back side of your PCB is "2060-001179-00 ? REV ?" Pls help to advise.

Pls contact my hotmail.

Thanks
Eric
Mikeluz
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have read trough several foruns and my conclusions, on WD PCB swap rule are as follows.

First off, my dead hard drive details are:

Drive parameters
----------------
LBA 234441648

»»»MDL
___
WD1200JB - 00FUA0

DATE
----
24 NOV 2003

»»»DCM
---
HSBACTJAA

»»»IDE white sticker
-----------------
2061-001179-090 CE

»»»PCB number
----------
2060-001179-003 REV A

Big Chip (CPU)
--------------
WD70C22 GP
00-00 ST 1.3

Motor Controller Chip
---------------------
L6282 3.2E

CONCLUSIONS

From my understanding:

IF I do not intend to change ROM (U12) I need a ***exact*** match of DCM#( ) AND a match of MDL# (WD1200JB/WD1600/WD2000/WD2500) AND a match of IDE white sticker (2061-001179-*** **) AND a match of PCB number (2060-001179-003 REV A).

IF I do intend to change ROM, then everything that was said need to match, except DCM (firmware)

Am I correct?

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: