www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with maxtor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Need help with maxtor Reply with quote

Hello.
I have a maxtor 4D040H2 hdd as my extra store hdd. It's a 40gb hd. I was working fine for a month but then it broke down. When i have it pluged in (IDE and powe) and i turn my computer on i hear clicking noises. I called up maxtor and they said it was hardware problem. They recommended i call ontarck a data recovery place. They said they charge like at least 200 dollars for recovery. If anybody has a solution plz do tell. Thank You!!
Subzuki
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Clicking noises Reply with quote

Well,
in my experiences, if it is clicking, then changing the board won't help.
I have tried changing the boards on a few drives that were clicking and they were still clicking after the swap. I don't know what causes that, but I would suspect that the spindle that the heads are on is stuck and can't move back and forth across the platters? Only thing I can think of. If the info on the disk is really important, you *may* have no choice but to go to a place like Ontrack. 200 bucks isn't bad considering it was thousands of dollars not to long ago.
Subzuki
DATARECOVERYTORONTO
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrack wont charge that type of money your be looking at $1500
for there recovery side
the problem with your hard drive is corrupted information
maxtor hard drives have a very well known problem for doing this
at the moment we are looking into all recovery of maxtor hard drives
with the same problem as you
mascal4
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Don't touch Maxtor ever again. Reply with quote

It doesn't look good. I had exactly the same problem and I tried basically everything except data recovery. Bye bye data. Sorry mate Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: