www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate 1tb fell from 18 inches. Now dead. HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cryztal6
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Seagate 1tb fell from 18 inches. Now dead. HELP! Reply with quote

Hello,

Can someone please offer some advice. My external hard drive, a Maxtor one touch, fell off the coffee table, 18 inches tall, while it was on. I don't believe any data was being read or written to it, but it was on and plugged into my laptop. After the fall, the hard drive has been dead. It makes no sounds whatsoever. I removed it from the case to see that it is a Seagate barracuda 1TB. I plugged it into a new hdd power wire and the hard drive still acts completely dead. No sounds. I could feel the pcb board was heating up. So we unplugged it. I am wondering if this is possibly a bad pcb board or if it is more likely an internal problem like a seized motor or something. Any help with this is much appreciated as I am so sad for the loss of my data!

Crystal
Sad
hddmania
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: My guess is.... Reply with quote

My guess is a seized motor due to bent shaft... Might be a tough one to recover data due to multi-platters with spacers in this model
cryztal6
Officially active!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply hddmania. Do you think if it did have a seized motor, it would not make any sound or vibration of any kind when hooked up to power? I am sure it makes no sound and I just wanted to see if that still lines up with the theory that it has a seized motor. I'm still grieving the loss of my data. Thanks!

Crystal
hddmania
Deadharddrive regular +1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: usually makes noise but not always Reply with quote

Hi,

Usually maes noise but not always. Also, it could be a damaged PCB, or damaged motor itself. It's hard to tell without actually looking at the drive...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: