www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swapped PCB, drive spinning up, but no dice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keysersoze52
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Swapped PCB, drive spinning up, but no dice... Reply with quote

So I found another Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB (ST3320620A) drive with the same firmware (3.AAE) and I swapped the PCB board onto the old drive.

Before the swap, I had burned the board and the drive was completely dead. Now, after the swap, the drive is spinning up, but it's not being recognized in the BIOS.

I tried changing the jumper settings, but it still isn't recognized. Aaaargh! I'm so close, but yet, so very very far...

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
dmshep
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapped PCB, drive spinning up, but no dice... Reply with quote

Keysersoze52 wrote:
So I found another Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB (ST3320620A) drive with the same firmware (3.AAE) and I swapped the PCB board onto the old drive.

I'm sorry to hear the swap hasn't resolved things for you. You might need to look into recovery software that might be able to salvage some of your files.

Where did you find the PCB? I'm looking for that exact same one myself.
Keysersoze52
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it at a local computer store. Do you know which software packages I should look into?
dmshep
Active contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze52 wrote:
I found it at a local computer store. Do you know which software packages I should look into?

I work pretty much exclusively on Mac, so I'm afraid I don't know which of the many Windows-based programs are the better. Your best bet would be to check with the techs at some of the local stores and see what software they use or reccomend. That's how I found out about the restoration software I use.

Where abouts do you live? I haven't been able to find the drive locally here (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and am willing to order internationally if I have to to get this drive fixed.
happyhappy
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your symptoms sound exactly what I experienced with my Maxtor drive a year and a half ago.

I used GetDataBack from runtime.org and recoved nearly every file I wanted. You can download a free trial of the software and run it to see if it finds your files. To actually recover them you need to purchase a license key. The software is read-only and non-destructive.

There is a similar product around called R-Studio easily found with a google search. I believe thay have a similar arrangement with their free trial.
LarryB
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your BIOS does not see your drive, no software is going to help you.

For a board swap:
The FW:
The Site code:
The P/N:
The Config:
And first 4 digits of the S/N must match.

If that does not work your service area data may be corrupted
Or a head is burnt out.

If you service area data is corrupted you need to find somebody with a machine to reload the code.
rhagerty
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagate ST3320620A, Firmware: 3.AAE, S/N 9QF4, Site Code: TK, P/N 9BJ04G. Anybody got one? Confused
HdSoEasy
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact you have to match the Model number and Firmware verion only (S/N matched is good, but not a requirement). But this is not the most important thing. For PCB swap between Barracuda 7200.10 series of hard drives, you can not just swap two PCBs directly.

Barracuda 7200.10 drives have a ROM chip on their PCB. This ROM chip contains unique data, so it can't be replaced. That means you have to remove the original ROM chip off the fried board, and use it to replace the ROM chip of the donor PCB before you perform the PCB swap.

You can contact me via MSN if you need more details.
rhagerty
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Not necessarily so Reply with quote

I just did a straight swap of ST3320620A, Firmware: 3.AAE, S/N 9QF4, Site Code: TK, P/N 9BJ04G for ST303204N1A1A-RK , Firmware: 3.AAE, S/N 9QF6DD5K, Site Code: TK, P/N 9BJ0A4 (note the multiple differences) and it worked flawlessly. No ROM chip exchange needed. Keyser--I don't need to buy your pcb anymore. Regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: