www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seagate barracuda 7200.7 st3160828as issues..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterskat
Officially active!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: seagate barracuda 7200.7 st3160828as issues.. Reply with quote

It started out with a NTLDR error and cascaded from there to where I am now, which is the dreaded clicking noise. Shocked

It's a 160GB SATA drive and right now, I'm attempting the freezer trick. It's encased in a sealed plastic bag being frozen into a jug of water to keep it cold. I was smart enough to make sure I could still get at the connections. Laughing

We'll see how..or if..it works. If it doesn't, though..what's next?

kat
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting....
but i think it don't work. i can handle it. please contact me by email or MSN if need help for it. thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masterskat
Officially active!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydreamspace wrote:
interesting....
but i think it don't work. i can handle it. please contact me by email or MSN if need help for it. thanks.

Ok..you think it won't work...why not?? Smile
I contacted a recovery service and was quoted $950 if it involves replacing the read/write heads, $550 if it's a straight data dump. Of course, no payment if nothing is recovered.
Considering I have a family to feed and the cost (if it is the read/write heads) equals the same amount that we spend on groceries in one month...that's a lot of cash.

kat
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
my meaning freezer trick. you need to know well with head problem. Seagate drive often have damaged platters. $950 amount. i can do with more reasonable price. you should think over and over before try to do anything on patient. good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Freezing Reply with quote

Freezing a drive makes me shudder. I always wonder about condensation and frost, although there are threads at Russian data recovery forums that suggest that this does not usually happen.

Anyway, you may like to read this thread:
http://forum.hddguru.com/wd5000aaks-not-bootable-t15639.html
pcrecovery
Active contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7200.7 series has some interesting properties...one worth mentioning is that most of them (all that I've seen) has an anti stiction coating on the platter(s) . When these drives get hot enough it can get quite ugly inside.
Major damage when this coating comes off. I don't know what effect freezing and/or moisture might have on a 7200.7, but heat is definitely not good for them.

http://www.pcrecoveryllc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: