www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slow boot is a symptom of..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt122
Posted once

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: slow boot is a symptom of..? Reply with quote

Hey guys, my 2nd WD hard drive just died on me (I'm guessing overheating) the first was a few months ago, haven't tried any recovery at all but I was thinking about freezing.

Basically the dead hard drives cause the boot up to slow down so much.. it takes almost 2 minutes to pass the bios. the bios check will pause at trying to communicate with the 3rd (dead) hard drive.. if it's been off overnight i can get it to windows in the morning. before the drive went dead (with both the 2 drives) it would disappear from Explorer while the pc is running.. and then when I restarted, it was booting slow.

The hardware check in the bios will immediately get to the hard drives, since it usually just flashes past, and list the first 2 drives. Sometimes it will take about 30 seconds before continuing and even get to Windows, and prompt dskchk.. usually by that time I've hit the power switch to turn it off, turned the psu off and disconnected the bad drive.

For this 2nd drive I've put loads of stuff into it, and it's been in constant use playing music while copying over etc. it's a WD 500gb (WD5000AAKS-00YGA0) and since I realized straight away it was getting too hot to touch, I've put a heatsink on top and had a fan right next to it.. it's been on overnight regularly too but not recently.

Anyone recognise the slow boot issue?? I want to try freezing but obviously if it won't help at all.. Sunny has already kindly advised me not to try.
deadhardrive
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yeah avoid absolutely the freezer thing. The idea of bringing some cold on the drive is good and need to be done properly. It might be enough for you to finish a scan and get your data back.
You can use a usb box with fan and leave the drive on it...it works well and keep drives quite cold...if you have aircond even better....

Your drives are slow because they are dieing....it could be the rom on your pcb who starts to be weak or/and the number of bad sectors that is too great...
Heard about g list?

Anyway, keep it cool and extract your data quickly before it dies totally. The best would be to do an image of your drive..r-studio do that well. If you are a linux user then even better and free is ddrescue...use it with the rhhelp module that will allow you to make the image backward (important).

Hope it helps
Sylvain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: