www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple (?) questions re: faulty WD200BB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Simple (?) questions re: faulty WD200BB Reply with quote

So, hi. new to the forum and not supprising (im guessing) ive got a few questions.

im sitting here with a WD200BB-harddrive that decided to go stand by the wall and get shot at. (not.. literary) lets just say that its not functioning properly, and im attempting to ressurect that data on it.

what i have to replace it with is the same type of disk, made 4 months earlier. from what i can see, everything of importance seems to match, as in model, drive parameters, first 5 digits in the S/N, and ofc size.

What that dosent match, is the DCM, and the question is how much that matters. They both start with a "D", but that could mean anything to my knowledge.

first and foremost im going to change the PCM to see what that does, if i am forced to replace the magnetic arms, ill ask a friend whom has done it before.

since i know youre going to ask, (well, i hope atleast) the fault of the disk is this:
it dosent come up as a unit, you can clearly hear it boot and then it turns itself off, and on again. hoepfully that would mean that itīs the PCM thatīs busted and not anhything mechanical.. seeing as that is a bit harder operation.

also, im curious as to how important a real "clean" room is when changing both the mechanical parts, but ofc, the "simple" PCM-parts.
i am full aware of the dangers of static electricity, but.. can one get away with a dust-free enviorment and getting naked while wearing a ball-and-chain made from surgical steel ?

anyho, any answers would be much appriciated.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
got crash head? model and DCM Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydreamspace wrote:
hi,
got crash head? model and DCM Smile

afraid i dont get the question about the crash-head,
but the Model is; WD200BB-60BNA1 and the DCM is
DSBAEVHA (for the working drive) and DRBHEGYH (for the busted drive)

where would i locate the crash-head ?
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
chat with messenger Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydreamspace wrote:
hi,
chat with messenger Smile

sadly, i dont have accsess to messenger during work hours, and the whole project is for work. any chance we could do it here ?
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:
ive switched the PCB and it didint work, ergo. im guessing its the damned mecanics thatīs faulty. shame really, the switching was easy enough.

will consult friend for closest clean-room.
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update 02:
just plugged in the donor-hdd to see if that was still working. it gave me a little scare, since it didint go online imediatly, but it came around and seems to function fine now. i did notice something during assembly tho, it seems the PCB from the donor and the original disks differ, apparantly one is made from AMP and the other one is called.. something-or-other-but-not-amp..
im guessing that would make a diffrence. a bit odd tho, seeing as they are only 3 months apart from the make-date.

im going to be needing a new donor-drive i guess.
KrazyKong
Active contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwober, your experiences with a donor drive sound very similar to what I've gone through.

I had a drive die on me 2.5 years back. Over the course of these 2.5 years I've bought 3x drives off ebay all of the same model, but differing in the manufacture date. The first two made the drive spin back up again which was at least something from my completely dead unit, but it would then spin down click, spin up click, spin down etc.

My third drive was not only the same model, but also the same manufacture date and also had the exact same version of firmware. So win win win. After I swapped the pcb, the hard drive fired up perfectly, I copied all the data off and did the victory dance.

Thus in your situation, I think you need another or more donor drives. Obviously try and get one as close to your original as possible manufacture date wise I mean. One of my drives was only 2 months newer than my dead drive but that didn't help me any as it didn't work.

Thus patience and persistence and as long as mechanical side of things with your drive is ok, you'll get it going eventually.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwober wrote:
update 02:
just plugged in the donor-hdd to see if that was still working. it gave me a little scare, since it didint go online imediatly, but it came around and seems to function fine now. i did notice something during assembly tho, it seems the PCB from the donor and the original disks differ, apparantly one is made from AMP and the other one is called.. something-or-other-but-not-amp..
im guessing that would make a diffrence. a bit odd tho, seeing as they are only 3 months apart from the make-date.

im going to be needing a new donor-drive i guess.

without clear your drive problem go ahead order more and more donor will waste time and money. what's the original problem? symptom? does it spin up? swap PCB you had to replacement ROM chip. have you do it? think over and over before do something one it. don't make it worst. cost for data recovery will higher.
zwober
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnydreamspace wrote:

without clear your drive problem go ahead order more and more donor will waste time and money. what's the original problem? symptom? does it spin up? swap PCB you had to replacement ROM chip. have you do it? think over and over before do something one it. don't make it worst. cost for data recovery will higher.

just checked again to get the name of the pcb-makers, twas FCI before you ask.

atm, the symptom of the disk is.. well, that its not doing anything. it used to spin up, load a bit and then spin down again, and then repeat itself.. right now, all itīs done is to boot up. it.. sounds like a normal disk, but it dosent show up as a drive in the computer.

just started the donor drive to see if it was my reader that didint like to play anymore, but that dosent seem to be the case, the donordrive comes around like nothing ever happend.
i do notice some diffrences in sound / behaviour, but im kinda new to this so i cant really tell what the diffrence means. least its not a clicking-sound in any way.

btw, the ROM-chip you mention.. what am i supposed to do with that ? Very Happy

ill see what more i can find out.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwober wrote:

atm, the symptom of the disk is.. well, that its not doing anything. it used to spin up, load a bit and then spin down again, and then repeat itself.. right now, all itīs done is to boot up. it.. sounds like a normal disk, but it dosent show up as a drive in the computer.
btw, the ROM-chip you mention.. what am i supposed to do with that ? Very Happy

ill see what more i can find out.

does the symptom with original PCB? if you swap PCB had to replacement ROM chip from original PCB to good PCB. recommend send it to data recovery company or me for help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: