www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 PCB component missing (diode???)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mester_bela
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 PCB component missing (diode???) Reply with quote

Got a 120Gb Seagate Barracuda 2700.7 and somehow i pluged the power connector in the wrong position (bad quality D connector splitter) so instead of 12 V he got 5V... let's assume that's not a problem, but instead of 5V he got 12V and it was just smoking...and a component from the PCB has gone...Now if i plug the power connector the hard drive spins and sounds like it's working fine. I need to know what kind of component was burned from the PCB (i think it's some kind of a protection diode, but not sure) on some pictures i saw it is a relative big black component, just not sure what it is. If someone has a HDD like this or a PCB for this type please tell me what component i need. The next image is showing "the missing part of the puzzle":
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
do you have real pic of your PCB? if the component you mention on pic. it's diode. you can remove it(then it without protect) does your PCB is work fine now? i have this PCB for sell. please contact me by email or MSN if need help. thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mester_bela
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepp, problem solved! It must be a diode, the HDD is working fine, ive backuped the data, and i'm not using it now, but if someone can tell me what kind of diode is (by his code) i will apreciate. I won't buy a new PCB for it. Thanks.
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: 5V TVS diode Reply with quote

The component marked "QE" is a 5V TVS diode. It can be replaced with an SMAJ5.0A from Farnell, Mouser, Digikey.

These URLs should help you identify the components:

http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_from_inside.html
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HDD_ICs.txt
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diodes.txt
mester_bela
Officially active!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you! I hope i can get that diode from the store, mounding is a piece of cake.Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: