www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital 160GB Caviar SE WD1600JB-00REA0
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flash memory damage Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't see your reply in my email.

Can you remember which way the chip was installed on the PCB? Pin 4 would be connected to ground. Therefore, a continuity test with the SATA power ground should tell you which corner is pin 4.

I believe there is a metal shield under the IC, and I believe it is connected to ground. If so, then this may allow access to the data on the chip.
1delo
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flash memory damage Reply with quote

fzabkar wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see your reply in my email.

Can you remember which way the chip was installed on the PCB? Pin 4 would be connected to ground. Therefore, a continuity test with the SATA power ground should tell you which corner is pin 4.

I believe there is a metal shield under the IC, and I believe it is connected to ground. If so, then this may allow access to the data on the chip.

I can identify which way the chip was installed using the broken corner of the chip. How do I do a continuity test with the sata power ground? And is it possible to skip the test, and try to solder the chip to the new board one way, and if it doesn't work still, then re-solder the chip facing the other way? Or would the chip/board fail if you install it the incorrect way?
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Flash memory damage Reply with quote

You MUST install the chip in its original orientation.

To help you any further, I need to know the placement of the chip on the board.

In any case your best course of action would be to seek the assistance of someone with a chip programmer. Hopefully they can retrieve the data and program a replacement chip for you.

Edit:

Here is a photo of your board:
http://www.ledisquedur.com/img/p/84-72-thickbox.jpg

Pin #1 is at the bottom right corner of U12. Notice the dot on the PCB, and the semicircular notch in the package outline, also on the PCB.

Pin #4 is near C79. That's the ground pin. Now can you tell us which corner of your chip is damaged?
1delo
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Flash memory damage Reply with quote

fzabkar wrote:
You MUST install the chip in its original orientation.

To help you any further, I need to know the placement of the chip on the board.

In any case your best course of action would be to seek the assistance of someone with a chip programmer. Hopefully they can retrieve the data and program a replacement chip for you.

Edit:

Here is a photo of your board:
http://www.ledisquedur.com/img/p/84-72-thickbox.jpg

Pin #1 is at the bottom right corner of U12. Notice the dot on the PCB, and the semicircular notch in the package outline, also on the PCB.

Pin #4 is near C79. That's the ground pin. Now can you tell us which corner of your chip is damaged?
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification email or anything. I really appreciate your help. According to what you pointed out, the broken pins on my rom chip are #3 and #4.
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: broken pins Reply with quote

Pin #4 is the ground pin. It is connected to the metal shield that was exposed by the damage.

Pin #3 is /WP (Write Protect). It merely controls whether data can be written to the chip.

The good news is that you should be able to read the contents of this chip by wiring the shield to ground and ignoring the WP pin. Then you can program a replacement chip with the extracted data. An electronics shop with a device programmer should be able to do this for you.

I believe it should also be possible to use the chip as is, provided that you carefully solder a ground wire between the shield and circuit ground.
1delo
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: broken pins Reply with quote

fzabkar wrote:
Pin #4 is the ground pin. It is connected to the metal shield that was exposed by the damage.

Pin #3 is /WP (Write Protect). It merely controls whether data can be written to the chip.

The good news is that you should be able to read the contents of this chip by wiring the shield to ground and ignoring the WP pin. Then you can program a replacement chip with the extracted data. An electronics shop with a device programmer should be able to do this for you.

I believe it should also be possible to use the chip as is, provided that you carefully solder a ground wire between the shield and circuit ground.
Cool, thanks a lot. Do I just solder a wire from the shield inside the chip to the pin on the motherboard with which it would have contacted with? Is that the best/correct way to do it? I'd like to do this myself if possible and then connect the hd to a computer and transfer the contents to another hd. Would that be possible?
Kit
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion, that chip is broken and you can not use it. Better way to find same board from same drive. But this chip has special information which called adaptives, so you lost this information and it is mean that not each board will work with you drive. May be you need change 3 or 4 board to find good one for your drive.
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3~4 pcs cost enough for DR pro operation. and do you think 6 pcs you will find out working one? better is fine out someone for help save money. i can help you this matter. you can send me entire drive for process or you can find out some one has programmer and i send some version of this model to you for test that you no need to buy same model drive for check. Smile
second way free share please email or skype me if need any help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fzabkar
Deadharddrive regular +3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: broken pins Reply with quote

[quote="1delo"]Do I just solder a wire from the shield inside the chip to the pin on the motherboard with which it would have contacted with? Is that the best/correct way to do it? I'd like to do this myself if possible and then connect the hd to a computer and transfer the contents to another hd. Would that be possible?[/quote]
Yes, that's the way I would do it, if I didn't have access to device programmer. However, IMO it would be best pay someone to copy the chip. There should be people who would do this for less than $50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: