www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three fried hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardjcam
Posted once

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Three fried hard drives Reply with quote

I was moving my pc innards to a new case. Everything was fitted, powered up: smoke. From the front, so I suspected a hard drive. Checked I hadn't made any shorts in the case etc. and tried again. This time Win 7 started up but THREE of the drives (five total) were not detected. Nor detected in BIOS. After switching around sata and power cables, and trying the drives in another PC and external HDD case, discovered the three drives had been damaged – none of these spin up nor are they detected.

After discussion and consideration discovered I had put a 4 pin molex to sata power adapter on in reverse! Ack!!

Dead HDDs:
WD 750GB Caviar Green WD7500AACS
WD7500AACS-00D6B0
14 Aug 2008
PCB code 2060-701537-004 REV A

Seagate 1TB ST31000333AS
PCB code: 100512588 Rev A

Samsung 250GB SP2504C

The Samsung was a scratch disk and Im not too worried about it, but the other two had months worth of work on them (ie since last I backed up. Ack!)

Below are photos of the damaged PCBs:

Green:

Seagate:

So the Seagate::::::::::
I've now changed the PCB and switched the ROM chips on the seagate. It now starts up but makes a "chk...chk...chk..." sound. Let me double check I've transferred the correct chip!! From my research this is the ROM chip, but perhaps I was wrong: 25P40VP See attached image (strangely this is not the same numbers/brand on both PCBs, though both PCBs are coded the same, i.e. 100512588 Rev A.) I, perhaps wrongly, used the details from this discussion which was about same drive with different PCB: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/which-rom-to-change-468684.html

The changed chip:

Caviar Green::::::
Seems the ROM is in the MCU Marvell chip and thus not a DIY job. However, though the SMOOTH chip looks burnt out, I also discovered diode d$ is shorted - a protective diode if I understand corectly. So if I replace this I have a slim chance. How would I go about finding a replacement diode? code reads "LG 87A" but google offering nothing I can see. Here's an image of that diode on the WD drive:

I'm in Melbourne Australia.

Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,
Richard
sunnydreamspace
Deadharddrive regular +5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
both PCB i have in stock.
for Seagate one. ROM chip operation correct. have you check or try to re-solder ROM chip make sure every pin connect well?
for WD. take a look first photo. motor looks burned too much. when it take out it. PCB may damaged. better is change good PCB. and do firmware transfer. i can handle this operation. if you can repair it. about diode problem. you can just remove it or take similar one for replace.
please feel free to contact me by skype or email if any question. good luck Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eric Lee
Deadharddrive regular +4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have those two working PCB in stock, pls contact my hotmail.

Thanks.
Eric
Kit
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both board are really bad. For seagate you need exact board with same number on it and you need put original rom chip to new board. If it not helps so you have big trouble, because it is mean that preamp chip inside drive is died and you need change heads (preamp chip installed on set of heads). It is not easy job and i think you can't do that yourself. It is really hard. For wd - you need change board. But it is not easy too, because wd's pcb has not external rom chip and has information about adaptives (special parameters of heads - part of drive's frimware) inside cpu chip. In this case you need special software which can read and write information to drive by special command. Data recovery companies usually have special software for this kind of job. So i hope, i help you little bit.
Ps If you want i can send good pcb for you for free. You just need to pay for shipping.
superbiiz
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find these boards here:

2060-701537-004 REV A
http://www.hddzone.com/wd-2060701537004-sata-l-model-pcb-p-185.html

100512588 Rev A
http://www.hddzone.com/seagate-100512588-rev-a-barracuda-720011-pcb-p-196.html
corbingravely
Deadharddrive regular +2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind sending me the hard drives? Maybe I can get it repaired for you. I have a shop here near my house where we actually repair HDD. We cannot guarantee you a good result but we can try.

-------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
beverly diamonds
-------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: